obd1 to obd2 questions and MORE

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

solridr23

alright here's the deal i got a good deal on a eg civic w/ a gsr swap so i went against recommended obd choices b/c i drive a 96 civic hatch cx. I know this can be done, and still be able to pass emissions still i was just wandering if someone could give me a complete run down on the parts i will need, not including the normal mounts and iacv mods. I have a very good idea (such as obd2 crank sensor, timing gear, and timing cover, obd2 alt, obd2 distributor, believe i can use my d16 injectors)but please be as thourough as possible so i can get this project underway. i really appreciate any help you guys or girls could give me.

also and not nearly as important as the first half comes the more part. i will be building this engine before it goes into my car considering i need to tear it down a bit anyways to change head gasket and and the crank sensor, the question i have it considering a good tune, rods, and pistons, how reliable would a turbo setup be without sleeves/ or how high can i push HP. is 350-400 out of the question?

Is there something wrong with the 95 that makes you not want to drive it? If it were me I'd just leave the motor in the 95 and drive it.

Well how much did you pay for it? If the cost of the car was more than the cost of simply buying an OBD2 GSR swap then I'd say you made a bad choice...

Why not just sell the coupe and buy a swap with the money instead of trying to mess with this conversion? It's gonna be a headache to try and source all the OBD2 parts you need plus you're also gonna end up with a leftover 95 Civic with no motor.

Just my .02...

for one..you cannot use your sohc injectors on an obd2 gsr engine. Not happening. Secondly your going to hate yourself for running obd2 when you want to get the car tuned. I can understand going through all of that extra work to make it obd2 IF you were planning on running a STOCK obd2 ecu on a STOCK engine with no serious modification. Obd1 is the way to go. I wouldnt steer you the wrong way trust me I been through it. your 96 ek hatch is obd2a. depending on your ecu and dizzy, your new setup is most likely obd2b.

If you decide to go through with it anyway, goto www.boomslang.com
they have conversion harness' galore. they can further assist you on what you will need to wire, including knock, crank fluctuation, etc.

I agree with LS-VTEC. If you're intent on keeping this motor and using it, then it makes more sense to convert your car to OBD1 rather than try to convert the motor to OBD2. It sounds like you want to build the motor and go turbo; OBD1 is infinitely more tunable than OBD2, so it just makes sense.

The only reason I can see for not doing it that way is that you need to stay OBD2 in order to pass an inspection. Otherwise, there's no point to it.

Check out boomslang or rywire for conversion harnesses.

well i picked up the car for right at 1500 for everything, drove the car home with a new clutch, zex nitrous kit, dc header, and skunk2 exhaust , and while it does have some shitty aftermarket bumpers the body itself an EX is in incredible shape. I already have a sohc obd1 engine ready to drop in after the other engine in out to sell it. So i basically have a free gsr engine so i am not so much worried about the cost to get it suited to fit my car. I am also aware of the tuning limitations on an obd2 vehicle and have full intentions on running a obd1 ecu but at the same time i will need i to be obd2 atleast once a year for inspection purposes. so if someone can get me around cel codes running an obd1 ecu year round im all ears till then i just wanted some help converting.

also a question is the crank sensor shit the only thing different between to two years other than the second o2 sensor or does it dwell further than that? sorry to be asking a million diff question but i know this is going to be a decently aggrevating project so im trying to cover all the steps before i get there. thanks

Back