obd2 swaps NY legal?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GS1100E

i have an obd2 civic and would like to do a swap and still pass inspection in NY(keep obd2). does the inspection machine read the vin # and vehical ID from the pcm? im not worried about visual inspection just the dlc test. any info is helpful

As long as the motor is the same year or newer than the chassis, you should be ok.

there is no vin info on an ecu.

do the jdm pcm's have readiness tests? i know the emissions regs are not the same but will a jdm pcm pass an obd2 emissions test? if not can i use a usdm pcm on a jdm motor? such as a jdm sir2 (or 3, i forget which one is obd2) motor and '99 si pcm. i would rather use the jdm pcm though.

a jdm ecu probably won't pass. you can use the 99si one.

do the jdm pcm's have readiness tests? i know the emissions regs are not the same but will a jdm pcm pass an obd2 emissions test? if not can i use a usdm pcm on a jdm motor? such as a jdm sir2 (or 3, i forget which one is obd2) motor and '99 si pcm. i would rather use the jdm pcm though.
JDM do not use a Evap Purge Solenoid that runs to the charcoal canister. This means the ECU doesn't look for it. I do not think it would make it fail the sniffer test but not having a Evap Purge on the Intake Manifold wouldn't technically pass the visual inspection. But they may not look for it. :ph34r: If you need to run one....its not too involved to attach one to a JDM manifold. But you would need a USDM ECU, Evap Purge and engine harness (or seperate plug at Evap ran to the ECU) to make it happen.

I have seen some JDM vs USDM fuel curves and (although I am no expert) I can see slight differences. I do not think these differences would matter (in terms of smog) at idle or at the low rpm they run it on the dyno or whatever they call it.

You should get a hold of the state emissions and find out all the technical rules for a swap. California is a bitch but I know nothing about NY laws on the matter. Some states are a push over and you get away with murder in comparison to the crap us Califonria Honda enthusiasts must go through to swap a motor.

there is no sniffer or dyno test, its only the dlc test (theirs also visual and safety but im not worried about that). they check for codes and check the monitors (readiness tests). so as long as the pcm will display that the monitors are ready and no codes i should be good. (as long as the pcm doesnt have car id or vin # in the software)

Back