OBD2 to OBD1 conversion?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Uncle Ben's

Hi, I am new to the forum. I just bought an eg with a b18c1 swap in it. I discovered that it had an LS p75 ecu, which I am obviously going to replace with a p72. My question is, due to the drastic difference in pricing that I have found(obd1 go for 100-200, obd2 for 50-75) it would work just fine if I bought an obd2 ecu and an obd2 to obd1 conversion harness, and plugged it right into my obd1 wiring harness, right? Also, would I be better off spending the extra money on the obd1 now, since I plan on building the engine next year? I plan on doing a mild 200whp build, and have already accumulated some of the parts. As far as I can tell, most conversion harnesses are for putting an obd1 ecu into an obd2 car.

Last edited:
I would buy the OBD1 ECU both because the OBD2 requires more sensors to be installed or bypassed to make it run correctly, but more importantly if you plan to install any kind of tuning program later you'll need an OBD1 ECU to use it.

Yeah I just decided to buy a chipped obd1 ecu from Phearable. I paid about the same as most want for just a stock p72 for a chipped p28 running a gsr map w/my boltons, shipped :D

Back