OBD2A B18C in 2000 GSR OBD2B swap issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VTEC420

Spun a bearing, bought a new motor w/ ECU, was supposed to be OBD2B but was OBD2A. The harness that came on the motor is JDM so it won't fit properly in my engine bay.

Should I use my harness (obd2b), the JDM ECU (obd2a), JDM motor, and a Boomslang OBD2B -> OBD2A conversion harness?

It looks like there are 3-4 plugs that my harness has that the JDM engine lacks sensors for. Crank sensor, VTEC solenoid (mine had 2, JDM has 1), one on the IM, and one emissions/fuel (black canister).

Anything else that would need to be swapped out/rewired? What do I do with the unused plugs in the harness?

Ok got the motor in with my ITR tranny and the above listed setup, everything seems to be running fine. No leaks & no weird sounds before & after I drove about 50 miles...

My only questions are:

How do I go about getting an OBDII scanner to be able to read from the new ECU? Of course my inspection is up the end of December and I can't pass if they can't verify no codes are being thrown.

Since an OBDII scanner can't pull codes, does that mean my CEL won't be able to come on if theres an issue with the motor? Oil, ABS, etc all still flash when I turn the key...

If you want to be emmisions legal use your usdm ecu and swap out the oil pump(it has the mounts for your secondary crank sensor primary is in your distributor) and crank position sensor from your old motor. Vtec solenoid shouldn't be a problem. Your second wire is for the vtec oil pressure switch which you don't even need for vtec. Jdm motors did not come with a vtec oil switch.You could if you want the switch use the vtec solenoid off your old motor. The black canister should be easy to hook up to the jdm motor. The only problem you may possibly have is that the jdm block's serial number is not registered in the united states and therefore if your state checks it you may not pass. If you live in California you are FUCKED. Good Luck.

Back