obdo jdm b16a into 96 civic?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

outlawrex

I have an extra jdm b16a first gen I would like to help my friend put into his 96 civic.I know it's obd2.but my question is do you think that I can switch over 98-00 si distributor,fuel injectors,harness,ect..and run the obd2 ecu by converting the two harness?Any comments/help/questions/ect.. would be appreciated.I will be using a hydrolic tranny and the rest of the newer si parts but it is more cost effective to use the first gen motor i already have ,thanks

that way is a headache and you'll 99% guarenteed to ALWAYS have codes thrown. If you are NOT in cali... convert the car to obd1 and then the motor to obd1.. that is easier then obd0 -> obd2

So I should convert to obd1?I should use obd1 distributor,injectors,ect..Can I use a 92-95 ex wiring harness?and in car harness?I guess I should use a chipped ecu?Anyway answers would help.Or maybe even a link somewhere ;) So let me know something
thanks

it's a pain.
sell the obd0 motor and with a couple hundred more dollars you can get yourself a obd2 longblock, or get a b18b block and build a ls/vtec.

you have to replace:

throttle body
intake manifold (suggested)
distributor
obd 2 injectors
crank sensor
obd 2 oil pump
wiring harness (if you want to stay obd2 you'll need some custom hack job)

i say use a obd2 harness, troubleshoot all the codes, and then buy a obd2-1 and use a p28.

you'll also need everything else such as mounts, etc to get it into a 96 civic.

i have done this swap, took me about 4 months, such a pain in the ass.
if you have questions, email me.

ls/vtec isn't even worth the money unless you already have the ls block.

ls block = 400 or so
getting it mated for a vtec head (must be perfectly), around 1200-3000 (this price was given in Lawton, Okla)
Head - around 600 or so complete (for b16 head)

If you are building the ls/vtec, its stupid to leave the stock ls internals, get something better from another b-series.. now you are racking in 300 for brand new pistons, better cams, etc.

Or just get a b16a2 for around 2500 complete

I agree with Domeskilla and the other guy bout selling the motor. It's a wicked pain in the ass and you'll spend as much in the end and pull your hair out in the mean time. I'd get an OBD1 engine and a skunk2 pigtail. The way of changing the OBD0 engine to OBD1 is a wicked pita. Most of the connectors on the motors don't match up, distributor wiring is different, etc...

I put a first gen into an obd1 ride adn then did the proper swap for it the SiR obd1, and I noticed that it was a pain in my fucking ass, I had codes and the motor ran shitty. First gens are usually in piss poor shape and really really old.

I say skip the first gen and go with a complete b16 SiR swap and convert your odb2 ride into odb1.

Milan

Back