** Official Photographers picture thread ** 56k?? hahaha.. goodluck

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Not so fast... I was in that camp too until I started reading things like this:

Digital Killed My Tripod - Ken Rockwell

I still have my tripod for things like really long exposures and HDR work, but it's not used as much as, say, my Dad used his when he was shooting.

yeah, that article was all fine and dandy.
but, it doesnt fit with most digital cameras.

if you cant afford a lens with a stabilization feature, then you will get blur.
even with the IS of my favorite walkaround lens (canon 17-85mm IS) i still need a tripod for longer exposures at night because my camera.
the xti, gives a hell of a lot of noise at higher ISO's, and unless you have a nice budget to afford that F1.8 zoom or prime lens (not just the nifty 50 bc its not always a practical choice) then you will be in the neighborhood of F3.5-4. max.
with my camera, to get the nice night shots that i want, i usually set it at about F8 to 10, and the ISO at about 400. i still need a pretty long exposure to get all the light and details that i want.
handheld would give me a lot of shake and blur.

i can give higher ISO's and a smaller aperture and probably avoid using the tri-pod, but then i'll have a soft, blurry, extremely noisy picture that does me no good.

now, if i had the budget for a professional camera (say the 5d mark 3) that has a higher quality sensor and much more in means of ISO speeds, then that may be possible.
but at the low end of the budget, a tripod (or solid, stable surface) will be what is needed to get clear crisp night shots.

When you use a try pod you should take stabilization off because it tryes to stabalize a stable picture. It doesn't make sence but it works.

before the pic is taken... i usually experiment and take several pics at different levels.. then pic my favorite

after Christmas i'll be buying another lens so i'll be posting more as i test it out

white balance after the photo is taken or before (via cam settings)?

Also i dont have a tripod =/

before, in the camera. just take a pic, if it looks to yellow or blue or whatever, just adjust the settigns and take another snap.

you can find decent tripods for about $20.

Shot with my Canon 50d + 50mm 1.4. It was really dark in the room with orange-ish light. Had to adjust WB after. This is my first DSLR and still trying to get used to it.

IMG_1508.JPG

bah, fuck you for having the camera i want.
i fucking love the 50d.
how do you like that 50F1.4? i read a lot of reviews showing that they get soft at 1.4.
i would try raising the fstop though, the bokeh is far too strong, lots of the face is in it, other than the nose and the eye.

bah, fuck you for having the camera i want.
i fucking love the 50d.
how do you like that 50F1.4? i read a lot of reviews showing that they get soft at 1.4.
i would try raising the fstop though, the bokeh is far too strong, lots of the face is in it, other than the nose and the eye.
Thanks! :) It is a nice camera, I really dig it.

The 50 1.4 is pretty soft at that high, I've only been using it for a few weeks now. You're right, I should have raised the F in that shot. I was pretty close to her in that shot. I need to spend more time with this lens. I do like the bokeh effect, but you're right it shows too much on the face.

Regardless the 50 1.4 is an excellent lens, especially for the price. Even a better deal is probably the 50 1.8, which can be had used for like $50.

Last edited:
bought a 40-150mm for my camera.. expect pictures soon.. :D

just waiting on shipment

got the lens... though the pic is nothing spectacular, i was testing it out while the dogs where playing.. not bad for them jumping around

P6025568.jpg

Yeah i love both of those so much. Here's some more from this weeks urban exploring trips

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0148.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0172.jpg

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

Last edited:
Back