Oil additives?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Justin66

The Hondaswap Canadian
A guy walked by my car and said "wow does you car really redline at 8000?"

"Well actually it redlines at 8200 ( i have a 92-93 GSR dash cluster)."

"Oh well you must have to use alot of oil additives to rev that high all the time?"

I said i really never thought of putting additives in my honda, my daytona had to live off it to survive. Is it even necessary to put stuff like say Bardhal, metaloil or slick50 in a honda? Would it even help or just hurt? I say this only cause i am still a little new to honda and ive never really heard of people using it.

i like to use Lucas oil stabilizer with every tire rotation not every oil change.

I don't believe in oil additives period... IMO, oil already has everything your motor needs. If your motor needs stuff like that, your just band-aiding a problem that's only gonna get worse...

b16racer is right, Ive used several different additives in several different situations, and all youll be doing is throwing your money away. dont let anyone coax you into using thicker oil either. as a mechanic and honda junkie, thicker oil (and additives like Lucas) are used more to prevent leaking through the piston rings and to hush loose lifters on older vehicles. with the way honda-freaks drive, using anything but good oil is bad news

Ha I don't even worry about any of that stuff. My Civic burns a quart of oil every 450 miles X.X so that's like $25.00 for gas and $2.69 for a quart. Pretty amusing actually.

Look at your oil cap. It most likely says 5w30 SAE. Use that, and that only. Don't get sucked into those "high mileage" oil additives, it does nothing. Lucas, as mentioned earlier will only bandaid a problem for a short period of time. I don't even use synthetic, I use what the manufacturer recommends.

I'm not too concerned about oil consumption though, since this motor will only be in for another 6 months to a year anyways.

Synthetic oil is actually a really good choice for the right motor. My Dad runs it in his shitty Villager van that has 276k miles on it. He's been using that stuff since 140k miles and it doesn't burn a drop of oil or leak anything. The last time he checked the condition of the motor at like 250k there was virtually no wear on the motor. That Mobil 1 synthetic stuff is pretty impressive like that.

Look at your oil cap. It most likely says 5w30 SAE. Use that, and that only. Don't get sucked into those "high mileage" oil additives, it does nothing. Lucas, as mentioned earlier will only band aid a problem for a short period of time. I don't even use synthetic, I use what the manufacturer recommends.

lucas is not necessarily a stop leak or a fixer elixir they also make a strickly oil stabilizer, it lets the oil travel and stick to metal parts. its not like engine restorer. i would recommend it for any engine that is DD.

Last edited:
Oh, well in that case you might as just use cooking oil...you know, since it doesn't matter. In other words, you missed the point. :)

Haha, cooking oil. I don't think that would last me another 6 months to a year though.

Castrol is what BMW uses from the factory, so it should be pretty good stuff. ;)

Yup BMW uses it. Also it tells you on the jug in a little yellow box "recommended by honda in 5w20 applications". My girlfriends 06 civic recommends a 5w20. I dont know what mine needs really, i put 5w20 in because its colder and i want oil around quicker. Honda told me that i should switch to the 5w30 for summer. Which ill probably do.

Syntec is the most expensive oil at all the stores we have around too, so that might be a good sign too. $32-$38 a 5 litre jug. Sometimes i hate being Canadian......

I run penzoil 5w-30 in my B16

fluids.bmp

Back