oil in manifold

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bb16hatch

i bought a 97 gsr motor from the junk yard 66.000miles
i put a bbk intake manifold on it and changed the timing belt and water pump i put some oil in it
wile it was on the engine stand and turned it ,motor turned fine i turned the motor upside down and put a oil pan gasket on it when i turned it back over i noticed some oil in the manifold what could this be
this motor couldnt be dogged out to bad it came out of a automatic

holy cow...i swear we answer this question a lot. it wont hurt much for that oil to be there. the pcv sometimes spits oil into the manifold. if you are worried about it, by a filter or a catchcan (Endyn)

Its perfectly fine.

You aren't supposed to flip a motor upsidedown with oil in it. :bash:

You'd better pull your plugs and make sure the cylinders didn't fill. If they did, you need to get that out of there. Just like a hydro lock.

lol...okay, i would like to note that i was drunk while posting (yeah, it hadnt worn off by 8AM....fun night) I saw oil and manifold and i went off.

but whoa...flipping it upside down with oil...never heard of that one before, id take phyre's advice...thats new to me.

i turned mine on it's side, would the be a problem?
i didn't flip it upside down

on it's side enough that the oil drained out where the dipstick should go in

what should ido?

Quoted post[/post]]
i turned mine on it's side, would the be a problem?
i didn't flip it upside down
on it's side enough that the oil drained out where the dipstick should go in
what should ido?

A motor with oil in it, that is turned upsidedown will allow oil to escape through the piston rings and into the combustion chambers. Whatever valves are open at the time will allow the oil to enter the intake manifold. A motor that is turned sideways could have the same problem, but it may not, depends on how "sideways" it gets. BUT, you should also pull your plugs and check for oil, and clean it out if it is present. A TINY bit of oil won't hurt anything, but a large amount will murder a motor if you try to crank it over and/or start it. In either case, the motor will smoke like crazy for the first minute you run it, because it will need to burn off the extra little bit of oil that is left over.

Drain the oil people, save yourself the trouble.

Back