oil problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crxricer88

my eg is burning alot of oil do you know what might be the problem? the motor is old but is tehre a way to fix it?

well there are a variety of ways to fix it....first you have to determine wheather or not its blowby caused by worn rings or a leak in the valve guide. tor do this you do a compression check, write down the numbers on each cylinder. next grab a cap full or half a cap full of oil and poor it down the spark plug hole. do the check on that cylinder again...if the pressure stays the same, it's your rings because the oil is bypassing the rings..if the pressure increases then chances are its your valve guide or something else thats leaking. a quick and inexpensive temporary fix to the rings is buying Restore Engine restorer. Its about 6 bucks at autozone. put some in next time you're a little low, about 1/2 a quart or so...run that for a about 100 miles or so. Then do an oil change and put another bottle of that stuff in...run that the normal 3000 miles and you should see a significant difference. Remember to use Restore Engine Restorer only as it is NOT an oil additive. It is like liquid metal in a way and helps seal the cylinder wall pits and SOME if not MOST of your blowby. Like I said this is only a temporary fix. The best thing to do is put new rings in, but when you do that be sure to hone the cylinder walls. As far as the valve guides go, you'd have to pull apart your head and check it out and possibly rebuild your head. These are the only things that I know out of my own experiance from my old 350 chevy and my EH2. My EH2 loves to burn oil and I did the engine restore out of a hunch b/c my compression tester is in stoarage in FL...but so far the smoking has been minimal at best...I havent done the oil change and the restore yet..thats tomarrow or monday....hope this helps...sorry so long winded..anybody else feel free to jump in......good luck man

Peace! :D

another thing i've heard but i'm not sure about if you run the wrong oil you will get blowbye read your oil cap it should tell you the right oil but like i said it something i've heard

look at ur pcv valve also if u havent changed it in a while u might want to change it

Back