oil too high

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thiebert

what can happen to your engine if the oil level is too high? just curious.

Anything from hydrolock to just smoking a bit while it burns off, to just bogging until you get the levels right.

a crv a my work ended up with double the amount of oil like almost 9L and it just had no power and bogged down

I put too much oil in my old hf motor. it started sucking it into the intake and then into the motor. botom like just get close to the line. it doesnt have to be right on it and DO NOT OVER FILL

Basically it will bog your engine down. I went a quart over on a 92 Celica and it basically made it run really shitty and bogged a lot. Just drain out the amount you went over from the drain plug, like into an empty quart bottle.

I generally check my oil when i put gas in my car, and when i checked it at the pump the other day it said it was about a quart low. So i freaked out, went and bought a quart and it took the entire bottle, but i got it a little below the full line. So on my way home i took it easy and didnt hit vtec like i usually do, and now the engine oil was WAYYYYY over full...Does hitting vtec cause oil to get trapped somewhere and not drain into the pan after the pump shuts off?

Originally posted by reikoshea@Sep 15 2005, 12:37 AM
I generally check my oil when i put gas in my car, and when i checked it at the pump the other day it said it was about a quart low. So i freaked out, went and bought a quart and it took the entire bottle, but i got it a little below the full line. So on my way home i took it easy and didnt hit vtec like i usually do, and now the engine oil was WAYYYYY over full...Does hitting vtec cause oil to get trapped somewhere and not drain into the pan after the pump shuts off?
[post=554812]Quoted post[/post]​

Generally, if you shut your engine off and check the oil right away it will show a little low because there is alot of oil slung all over and still clinging to parts.. Its best to fill up, THEN check your oil.

Originally posted by reikoshea@Sep 15 2005, 12:37 AM
[post=554812]Quoted post[/post]​

most cars take a few minutes to let all the oil drip down into the pan. Let it sit for a few, maybe ten minutes before checking the oil. General rule of thumb.

*noted*

Im driving the green monster (protege of doom) until then...i almost dont feel safe driving the prelude when it is like that.

Back