Oil

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

UDT

Is 10w40 to much? I did an oil change and didint really see i grabbed 10w40, am i strait?

yeah, it is just a little thicker or an oil. I have a friend who used to burn oil like crazy when he gave it, so he switched to 10w40 and hes run it ever since, and the oil burning problem has been reduced. Just don't mix. use all 10w40 or all 5w30. it should be fine

DArin

I had to mix last night cause i guess i didnt put enough in and it was like 12 midnight and all they had was 10w30

And what i put in my car was 20w50, i was mistaken befor, so now were clear. My problem is i pput 20w50 in my car and then mixed one quart of 10w30.

First question

A. was the 20w50 a bad fuck up?

B. Was mixing the the one quart of 10w30 super bad?

coulda used SAE 90weight gear oil. lol. it wont cause much in problems of leakage. lol. sorry. dont do that.

I use 10w 40 in the D15 and if I use 10w 30 I burn more than a quart every 3000 miles. In the B16 I am not sure what I will use probably something super heavy like swepco.

the answer it it is better to NOT to mix viscosities (sp?) but your one qt of lighter weight when you used 20W50 primarily shouldn't cause MAJOR problems.

Would it be better to drain and start over, yes. Will your engine fall apart between now and your next scheduled oil change? Well, how often do you change the oil anyway?

edit: 20W50 isn't bad if your motor has a lot of miles and is smoking due to worn rings. It'll smoke less now. Otherwise, it depends on where you live. 10W40 should be good for the summer.

Would someone please read there owners manual. 5W30 is reccomended unless you live in an area that frequently experiences over 70 degree weather! 20W50 in a honda? :puke: Also the thicker oil will rob you of fuel economy as well as horsepower!

dude, chill. Just because Honda says that you should use 5w30 doesn't mean that its the only thing you CAN use. We all know that 5w30 is what is recomended, but it really doesn't matter. Is not going to destroy his engine or anything.

Originally posted by ktanaka@Jun 12 2004, 12:34 PM
We all know that 5w30 is what is recomended, but it really doesn't matter. Is not going to destroy his engine or anything.

Oh boy! Remind me not to let you work on my car. If you wanna run your honda like its a old broke down chevy keep on. Detroit Diesel only runs 15W40 in their engines now does that tell you something.

I really don't think I need to chill. I'm just tryin to pass on some common knowledge thats been over shadowed by opinions and myth. Then again, I'm pretty sure your smarter then the engineer who designed and built his engine huh?

Have a nice day B)

I use 10w30, it seems to work well enough. 5w30, doesn't the back of those bottles of oil say that it is is for low emissions vehicles? I was told that the 5w stuff will break down under high operating temps, like in say...racing? So I would use anything under a 10w oil in my car unless I was just driving miss daisy. 20w50 isn't gonna hurt your motor, it is just a more viscous fluid the the motor has to pump through its veins and squeegee off its cylinder walls. A little power loss from that, but your motor should be fine. Turbo cars that I have driven recommended the 20w stuff in the motors because of the oil being a method of cooling the turbo, and the heavier oil could absorb more heat. Should be fine bro, just change the oil a little earlier this time around.

Originally posted by shadowracer95+Jun 13 2004, 09:54 AM-->
@Jun 12 2004, 12:34 PM
We all know that 5w30 is what is recomended, but it really doesn't matter. Is not going to destroy his engine or anything.

Oh boy! Remind me not to let you work on my car. If you wanna run your honda like its a old broke down chevy keep on. Detroit Diesel only runs 15W40 in their engines now does that tell you something.

I really don't think I need to chill. I'm just tryin to pass on some common knowledge thats been over shadowed by opinions and myth. Then again, I'm pretty sure your smarter then the engineer who designed and built his engine huh?

Have a nice day B)

Well, honda engines wern't origninally made for racing. So I guess you'd better not do that, because that is also not condoned by the manufacturer. OH yeah, and you'd better not do engine swaps. Thats bad for you car too!

I know that using drasticly more viscous oil is bad, but using 10w30 isn't going to kill a honda engine. You're more likely to damage it by pulling ricer revlimiter bounces on a daily basis.

Originally posted by ktanaka@Jun 13 2004, 12:43 PM

I know that using drasticly more viscous oil is bad, but using 10w30 isn't going to kill a honda engine. You're more likely to damage it by pulling ricer revlimiter bounces on a daily basis.

You know whats funny? If you look at my origial post I refered to 20W50 not 10w30. There is nothing wrong with running 10W30 in the summer time or if you live in a temperate area like I stated before.

You really like those ricer comments don't ya? :ph34r:

Back