Ok.. car doesnt start.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Team_Asterisk

R0T0R WH0R3
Ok, car has been siting 6 months. We just got it, put in a new battery. It has about 1/4th tank of gas. Cranks over, does not start.

I'm thinking it's probably the fuel gone bad since it's been sitting so long, so should I drain fuel and put in a new filter? I'm gonna pop some new plugs in there as well.

BTW: do they let you "Borrow" compression/ spark testers at Autozone?

Last edited:
You might be able to rent one? I'm not too sure though. Check for spark.. and go from there. Your grounds could be corroded out as well, maybe?

-Jason

Yeah, that is one of the reasons I posted. I'm a total n00b with honda. I know that the grounds will need to be cleaned and stuff, but where are they, and how many of them? Should I search?
I was trying to find an online FSM or a Scanned Haynes manual for this car (1997 Civic LX sedan) but interestingly couldn't find what I was looking for...

Also, as far as plug wires go, do I REALLY need to worry about them just to get the car running?

There should be 3 main grounds. One from the valve cover to the frame, one from the tranny to the frame, and one from the engine wiring harness that should be grounded on or near the thermostat housing.

And yes it could be the plug wires if it's too corroded.

The one on the thermostat does quite a bit.. I believe the fuel relay is grounded out on the t-stat(as well as others).

-Jason

Back