Ok, I need a D motor education.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TreeFrog169

Ok, I need a D motor education.

I currently have a D16Y7 with just a touch over 200,000 on the clock. I am thinking of a rebuild, but here is the questions.

What D motor has VTEC and would be an easy swap or good head swap candidate? I was thinking of a head swap to get the VTEC but is it worth the wiring time and swapping a comp? What does the VTEC gain me?

Also bottom end. Is there any differences between my motor and any other D motors? If so what is it and which is better?

D16Y7 vs other D motors, which can be built better as far as reliability and reliable power and still be somewhat economical?

This is a DD and I am just looking for a mild rebuild with some more power. The D motor is what I want because they bolt up to the trans and stuff I have. I am leaning towards just rebuilding the motor I got just for the fact that I have it and I don't want to have to find a comp, head and wiring, and do any rewiring. But if it is justifiable gains to swap heads or motors than I will consider it.

Also what are some mods I can do to my current motor if I rebuild it for good power gains but not hurt its reliabilty? What is a good source for rebuild parts?

Thanks

You can put the d16z6 or d16y8 head on there for vtec, that on a new motor will give you ~130hp. There are pistons/ring/rod packages you can buy for under $1000 to rebuild it. Rollerwave pistons, eagle rods etc. If it were me with just a dd and no turbo, I would just either put new pistons of the same make in it, or get some pm7 pistons out of a dohc zc to bump up the compression, those pistons you can find used much cheaper and probably just have to find new rings for.

If you want some OK gains with the engine you have, I would go: I/H/E along with a ZEX cam and gear.

That setup should get you about an extra 10whp if tuned right.

200k on the engine...find a z6 or y8 and just do a full swap...those engines are everywhere...it shouldnt be too hard to find. If you want you can add a little home made turbo setup to it and then you have yourself a 13(ish) second civic :)

I'm with reik...get the whole swap and use the pm7 pistons.........then street tune .....with that CR you could even use N2o once in a while.....

but i think a D is a better platform to FI just because of its low HP output....but a high CR D is a nice daily

The previous post is right on the money.

Swap in a lightly used D16Y8. Wiring for VTEC is easy. If you have the desire to take the power up a bit, drop in a set of PM7/P29 pistons- but don't run the thicker head gasket to drop your compression. I know that I wouldn't- but tuning in the high 12s (compression) is a cakewalk for me on 93 octane. If you don't want to screw with tuning, just swap in a totally stock Y8 and be happy. It's still a big improvement over your tired Y7.

yeah i would have to agree, just save your money and get a different car which has more power goals that are easdier to obtain or do a big engine swap...

Ok, I found a Y8 that needs a rebuild. Will I need the Computer from it for the VTEC? Also what is factory compression ratio on this motor? What wiring is needed for this swap? Thanks.

yes, you will need the computer from the 96-00 Civic EX (P2P). The Factory compression is 9.6:1. You need to wire for VTEC, that should be about it. Its gonna be 3 wires (if you count a ground as one of the wires).

Blanco nailed it.
Y7 & Y8 have identical bottom ends. What does VTEC gain you? 20 horsepower in stock form, that's nearly a 20% gain.
From what I've read the weakness comes from the need to enlarge and smooth oil supply through the block.

Eh? You just pull the oil squirter thingy between cylinders 2 and 3. There's no englarging involved. This is a 6 month dead thread anyway. Check your dates next time!

Back