Operation Second Chance Sucsessful. : )

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Airjockie

Watanabe Whore!!!
Rest In Peace
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

happy dance:

about a week and a half ago, Ga-chan was looking a little bit under the weather....nearly near death. Not eating, no pooping, 107 degree temps, heat stroke, literally just a slug on her bed. She is a 13.4 year old yellow lab mix rescued from the humane society.

I had to take about 1.5 days off from work, take her to the vet about 4 times, spend the holiday weekend just watching her to make sure she won't die.

the first vet visit, the vet asked us if this is it for the dog, put her out of her misery, and I actually broke down and started to cry like a kid...and then he said he could run some tests, but they wont be cheap... and to me and my wife, this dog has been nothing but pampered to the fullest any dog could ever wish for. So be it, a full onslaught of tests ran, and her blood was fine, a little clogged up in the colon, temp was at 105.....and some bronchitis in the lungs.. not looking good.

dog temps are a little higher than humans, 101-102 is normal, 106 degree's and the brain and other organs start to die, and she hit 107... it took us 2 days to get her temps down, and everyone is stressing. Once her temps stabilized, she wouldn't poop, or eat...so another trip to the vet, more x-rays, and more meds, still nothing for 2-3 days. Then the vet gave us some antibiotics that cancer patients take, and that started the turn around...but was it too late?

A few more days of complete stress...and recovery was in sight. This dog has got back most of her memory, most of her body functions, and today she finally had a half solid shit....that's good compared to us wiping her butt with the after affects of two enema's on potty pads for days. The amount of paper towels used... :ph34r:

I was wanting to post her pre-RIP thread, but every time I started it, I knew it was lame to do it before she died, and I just couldn't pull my self to post up pictures of the dog without breaking down in tears.

When this dog does die, I'm going to be a mess.:( We don't have kids, and this dog is literally me and my wife's daughter.

This dog has already beat sickle cell sarcoma cancer, beat massive arthritis in the rear joints, beat hip displasia, beat a torn LCA...and now has beat heat stroke. I do feel bad for the dog for going through all this excruciating pain but when she does get pass the pains of surgery, and over the meds...she's happy to be petted, cared for, and she absorbs the attention and the pain appears to go away. She was dragging me to the Subaru today because she wants to go for a ride....after she took her historic shit.:ph34r:

x-mas 2006...her best photo..
2006-xmas-ga-1.jpg

this one was also cute...
2006-xmas-ga-2.jpg

hell..she's such a photogenic dog...
DSC00179.JPG

DSC02734.JPG

DSC02748.JPG

DSC02817.JPG

I'm so happy that we didn't put her to sleep....:)

Last edited:
I will truly say that Ga-chan's vet is nearly one of the best vets in America. He's not after money with his vet care office, and he's not after money with his rehabilitation care side office, but he does want to strike it rich with marketing. And I have absolutely no problem with that. What he has done for me and my wife in the years we've seen him for Ga-chan's health, has gone way over and beyond what any other vet we had had. He is really the best vet around that does what is needed, and get's it done.

he's even on FB.

Welcome to Facebook

And even the cat that is always on the counter at the office is on FB...I think he said he got that cat to beat cancer 7 times...

Welcome to Facebook

And I saw Amazing Grace the other day, and she is a very plump, and healthy pup that has found a new home this month, another puppy saved by my vet, and she was in the news a few times.

Dog found near death in Meriden | WTNH.com Connecticut

and we just got the bill...:ph34r:

three separate x-rays, 2 enema's, med's, three emergency office visits, 2 day monitored care, and a few other things....$550...

A dime in the bucket for us.

and I was talking to a few guys at work that they dealt with for putting a dog down at other vet office's...some were saying in the $700 range, and I asked this vet...it's in the $250 range for him.... so he's not out there to make a profit, but to actually help and care for the animals well being.

wow.. tough girl.. i know exactly how you feel though.. my dogs are my life, my kids.. i'd be in tears if my dogs were in that condition too

I am glad to hear she pulled through. She sounds like a tough, tough girl.

I hope your dog pulls through.
550 isn't bad for all the tests. We just spent over a grand on our dog since he was having some stomach problems. Basically we pretty much wasted $750 on a misdiagnosis. Well it wasn't a total waste since they helped and some of the test were expensive. We went to get another diagnosis since the first vet did not seem confident in hers. 2nd vet does one expensive test, tells us to stop some of the meds the first vet gave us, give him a probiotic everyday and change his food. He has been better ever since. Find a good vet that cares about your dog compared to their wallets is tough.

Major congrats and I hope she stays well. Turbo tells the truth, that's one damn cute dog.

Makes me miss our old rottweilers.

she's eating normal, crapping normal, and shows new interests in life now... today we went for a drive in the mountains behind my house, she had fun.... she has front seat privileges over the wife now.

A small update.

Ga-chan turned anemic...she's already died 3 times in my arms, she's came back and has been a normal dog...if she doesn't get up... :(

this last week has been hell for me and the wife..every time the dog stands up, she doesn't have any oxygen in her blood to keep her up...and she passes out. If she comes back...she struggling for every breath...and then she comes back to normal after a couple of minutes...and she's hungry as hell...feeding her has now became a chore.

Multiple visits to the vet, tossing all the meds at her as possible, running any test possible ... no avail.

She died again today, luckily...she came back again... and for the last few days I've been wanting to just end it...have her put to sleep...but the wife can't accept the fact that she can't last forever. The wife has hope for her that as any mother would have for her own daughter, so I have to facilitate any means possible to keep her going.

If the dog can make it to Monday morning, and can live thru the excitement of riding in the car again, then she will get a morphine shot, and a blood transfusion. While she is out, a bone marrow test will be pulled, and any other test the doctor can do... the transfusion would only give her another week to 3 weeks... The last test to see if the bone marrow is producing new red blood cells has came back at .6%, it should be 1-1.6%.....:(

I already know that I can't do a RIP thread....it would tear me apart to even read any of the comments.

When i saw this bumpoed, i was expecting to see an RIP post. :( It's coming man. sucks, but it's coming. Don't make her suffer.

Shes a good dog and was a part of your family for a long time. Unfortunately, they don't have the lifespan that we humans do.

I know it's coming... I'm set with it...but the wife just can't foresee her life without Ga-chan...and she has already said no more dogs.

Back log: the wife has MS, and when she stress's out, she also has a health degradation problem... her last episode put her with one leg paralyzed and one leg numb.... she's fine now...but I worry the wife will have another episode thats not irreversible.

Last edited:
You should feed her some xanax or some other anti-anxiety type pill for the next few days so the death of the dog isn't the end of her either.

dude sorry to hear about the dog but hopefully she makes it through this event too. she sounds like a good dog and i wish i could have a dog like her.

Dude im sorry. she was a good dog just by everything you said about her im pretty sure everyone would have loved her. RIP Ga-chan. once again sorry man

Back