OSX86

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
http://www.osx86project.org/

Anyone have any experience with this. I have always wanted to buy a Mac however my dad bought me a real nice laptop when I started college so I used it. Anyways, I have thought about selling mine but I hate the displays on the apples and I would have to shell out more money for the switch. If this sounds promissing, I might go for it. I love layout of macOSX and windows, well I hate how slow it is. People have said that after they did it, there computer ran alot faster even compared to a freshly installed xp OS. I have decent hardware with 2.8 ghz processor, 512 ram, 60gb hard drive, 32meg video card, and my display on my laptop is still one of the best on the market so I would be able to have the best of both worlds.

oh nice!

32mb video card? you can buy travelmate's for 1K with a 256mb card. i was able to run need for speed most wanted 1024x768 with no skipping at all on my old one :)

for 1300, you can get an aspire duo with 512mb.

Quoted post[/post]]
oh nice!

32mb video card? you can buy travelmate's for 1K with a 256mb card. i was able to run need for speed most wanted 1024x768 with no skipping at all on my old one :)

for 1300, you can get an aspire duo with 512mb.
opps, just checked an its 64mb

yea, I know my vid card is tiny, but keep in mind, its a laptop (so I am not digging at the keyboard to get to it), and the closest thing to gaming I do is the a dumb flash game here and there.

The only thing that is really holding me back from doing it is I need to save all my music on someone else computer so I could later download it with a program like mytunes or something like that.

Running it on one of my service machines at work. I do not recommend it, as network support is still a bitch on it. I can only get it to recognize my firewire port and have to network through my MacBook to the firewire port. It is fast, but I would prefer ethernet. My suggestion is to buy an Intel based mac and dual boot windows and mac os with Apples boot camp software, it works flawlessly. I am very impressed with it.

well I found on the wiki.osx86project....website someone who had did it with a Sony K-series laptop (so same as mine) and he was able to get ethernet to work but not wireless. Also his resultion was stuck at a non widescreen setting (all the kseries are widescreens) and no luck on sound yet. However, there are alot that have installed on laptops no problem.

I would love to buy a need macpro book but there are a few issues... As I said, my laptop is a great laptop and if I could pull it off, it would be well worth it. If I sold this one, I would be lucky to get 800 or so for it, and a macbook is 2000, so you can see the problem there. Then the problem with the macbooks themselves, as of right now, they only have the huge 15 inch one. If I go to buy a new laptop, I don't want big again, I want a 12incher. I heard that mac is going to come out with a 13.x widescreen which would be nice. Finally, the screens are still not as good as sonys/compac/hp/gateway laptop screens. Washout sucks.

Yeah that is my big complaint about my macbook is the screen size, but I had no choice in the matter as my 12inch powerbook was stolen, and I wanted an intel based mac instead of another powerbook. I think if they release a 12 or 13 in mac book I will sell mine and get one of those.
But back to the OS X on a PC, I have not seen one that has worked well enough for me to want to use it on a day to day.

Back