Overheating D16Z6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

D16Civic

Matt
VIP
I noticed coolant in the driveway Sunday. Checked and added coolant. Went to work this morning and car started running hot withing 2 miles at constant 45 mph. Seems to cool down sitting at idle at stop light. Got to work, coolant noticeably dripping on ground. Under hood, coolant is clearly visible on fan shroud and on top of air filter box. Radiator has small hole the size of a couple of tic tacs near the top. Fan does not seem to be turning on. Running heater to draw heat out yields no hot air. On my way home, I had to stop and let car cool off because it was in the red on the temp gauge. After 15 or so minutes, proceeded last 1 1/2 miles home, and steam was coming from under hood when I got out of car. I figure the radiator needs to be replaced, and I might as well change the hoses while I'm at it. My question is, I still need to drive to work the next 3 days, can I do it safely without damaging motor, as long as I use caution, and what else might I need to replace while I'm at it. Fan, fan shroud, fan motor, thermostat, etc. Any and all advice is appreciated, thanks in advance. I should mention the car is stock except the exhaust, and has 84000 miles on it.

well driving it is up to you personally me I would fix the problem first, You run the chance of warping the head if you let it run that hot. If there a hole in the rad more then likely thats where your problem lies. Don't worry about replacing the hoses unless you want too, or they dont seem to be very stiff anymore.

Honestly if you wanna drive it I would get out to the store and pic up some jb weld and patch up that hole. hell who know that could even be a cheap fix for you

Well I decided to just take the thing to my mechanic. I would like to do the work myself, but my only day off is Friday, the rest of the days I work 6am-6pm, Sat and Sun included. I just don't have the time to fuck with it, and I have to have it to get to work. Wife is off tomorrow so hopefully can get it taken care of. Mechanic is a friend of mine who owns a shop, so I know he'll be fair with me. I'll update more when I find out what's wrong.

Well as I suspected it was the radiator. Fuck. I had him change the upper and lower hoses while he was at it, but I wish I would have waited and done it myself. Could have got it done today on my day off. 4 bills out the door for a job I could have done for about $130. Oh well.

did you get another junk oem plastic top and bottom radiater?, chek under the distributor there another coolent hose, those come off if not clamped. go to church save your soul

Back