Overheating only with the a/c on

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ok so heres what i got...94 civic cx w/ JDM b16a2 full motor swap...engine bought about 6 months ago...here's the problem...car starts to heat up when i turn the a/c on (it never goes into the red, but it sits at like 60-65% on the temp gague)...however i have no a/c (i just turn it on to bring air in during the summer when its raining and the windows are up) so i'm thinking that it couldpossibly be a bad heater core...cuz the compression is right on the car, so its no head gasket...the engine is practically new...most hoses have been replaced...has a new rad..fan turns on...new fan switch...new thermostat...car is up to par with the coolant levels...any ideas would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Are you sure the fan stays on when you turn the a/c on? When you say you have no a/c, did the car never have a/c from the factory, or it just doesn't work? Is your heater core leaking at all? Just because the compression is good does not mean there is a slight leak in the motor - water - to-exhaust system. What does the smoke look like coming out of the tail pipe? Water under the rad. cap smell like exhaust or oil? Any bubbling when you hit the accelerator? Just what I would check for.

Are you sure the fan stays on when you turn the a/c on? When you say you have no a/c, did the car never have a/c from the factory, or it just doesn't work? Is your heater core leaking at all? Just because the compression is good does not mean there is a slight leak in the motor - water - to-exhaust system. What does the smoke look like coming out of the tail pipe? Water under the rad. cap smell like exhaust or oil? Any bubbling when you hit the accelerator? Just what I would check for.

Back