Oxygen Sensor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92stoccord

Big Member
I got my CEL run, and it came back as the first O2 sensor. By first do they mean upstream or downstream? Do I really have to pay 350 bucks for a damn O2 sensor?

first o2 would be upstream. no idea why it would be that expensive though. unless you're driving an hx that is, which uses a wideband.

shit for $350 you could just get some sort of engine management on there and just delete the o2 sensor, get it tuned and run it open loop.

I'd be highly nervous about that 1, for losing fuel economy, 2, for losing reliability, and 3 I don't wanna fuck shit up.

nah my car doesnt use a lot of sensors including o2, vtec oil pressure, iacv, etc... it is tuned on neptune. but even tuning it on chrome you can just not use the o2 sensor, it would run fine after a dyno tune.

but i understand your concern. for me fuel mileage is not an issue, and there is not really a "winter" in south florida so the same tune works year round.

Yeah tuning for 3 months then tuning back would get really annoying, soooooo I'll stick to just the shitty damn expensive o2 sensor.

haha funny shit is i just bought a 93 civic hatch ex and my CEL is on due to the o2 sensor not plugged in...the messed up thing about that is....I CANT FIND THE DAMN CONNECTOR TO PLUG THE F***ER IN!!! lol anyone got any advice its a single cam d16z6

^^^^ Its up under the intake manifold hanging down. Get under the car and see if it was tucked away by someone.

Soooooo.... funny thing happened, I disconnected my battery, CEL went off and my shift light started working. Also my gas mileage improved greatly. Now I"m just confused.

Either the ECU misdiagnosed the O2 as broken when it isn't or the sensor is giving values that are slightly out of spec which take longer to throw CEL's. Either way keep driving and see if it comes back.

Well it's back after 50 cycles (it's been a while now) This is whats making me get like 21-33mpg per tank right?

If it's the primary O2 then probably because that is what the ECU uses to change the AFR and it can't lean it out the way the HX is designed to if the sensor is bad.

Back