paint rims or no?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
ok i picked up a set of 90-91 CRX si blade rims yesterday, but my center caps i have are for 88-89 aparently and they dont fit. the rims have scratches on them so i was thinking about sanding them and painting them black. i want the paint to stay on there, and not come off when i wash them or drive on them or anything. just wondering whats the best way to go about dont this.. any suggestions would help im guessing i should get some of that clear coat stuff thats in a spray can?

fyi- no im not having them powder coated nor will i buy some super expensive paint no point in spending a lot of money on a set of 100 dollar rims.. i gonna rattle can this shit, and want to know the best way i can rattle can it :)

now that thats settled, what color should i paint em? choices are black, gunmetal, or silver....

yea im thinking about it, but where do i get that aircraft stripper from? anyone know where i can pick it up at?

any auto body supply store maybe even a home depot type place, and be sure to get the low odor stuff.

go to napa or your local automotive supply store as long as they carry some sort of paint and body materials they should have it, but i would NOT suggest doin it with the tires on cause that stuff is seriuous and if you get much of it on your tired it could cause issues...i mean the stuff i used will instantly burn your skin if you get it on it. It was Martin senior. Either way i can not imagine it could be good for a tire cause it is potent shit

Originally posted by driver1@May 9 2004, 12:54 AM
go to napa or your local automotive supply store as long as they carry some sort of paint and body materials they should have it, but i would NOT suggest doin it with the tires on cause that stuff is seriuous and if you get much of it on your tired it could cause issues...i mean the stuff i used will instantly burn your skin if you get it on it. It was Martin senior. Either way i can not imagine it could be good for a tire cause it is potent shit

:concur: Make sure you wear gloves and take the tires off if at all possible. Lay the stripper on in thick coats and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, spray it off with a hose or pressure washer and repeat the process until all the clear coat is off. OR if you have access to a sand blaster that would work great.

yea the tires are off the rims, and i planned to paint the rims with them off, i figure i will be able to get the rims better that way...

any suggestion on color from my 3 choices?

well i did some work on the rims today....

heres what i started with....
s40a0279bf1b5a.jpg

s40a027a79eb27.jpg

here it is after stripping the paint and sanding a little bit...
s40a027b6d94a5.jpg

s40a027c541ed3.jpg

and here it is at the end....
s40a027d494ee6.jpg

s40a027dd186b9.jpg

the paint is called T90 Universal Black M from autozone. like $4/can. its black with like some silver flake in them, i like it a lot and i think they look awesome. the pics are before clearcoat, they look nice :) now all i gotta do is mount the azenis on them and hope the paint doesnt come off :(

only if you send it for free with free shipping :) i need some center caps though....

figured you guys would wanna see the end result :). ive only finished 2 of the rims, but they came out really good and the tires fit the rims nicely too. i was afraid they would be too wide since the rims are only 5" wide but they seem to be fine.

pics:
s40a53a1dc8332.jpg

s40a539e51d4dc.jpg

s40a539f495913.jpg

Back