1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pan's Labyrinth: movie review

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by TommyTheCat, Feb 8, 2007.

1. TommyTheCat

TommyTheCat Gonzo Scientist

I didn't find any other thread talking about this movie, but here goes nothing.

My review (in equation format):

Narnia - the suckiness + Labyrinth - muppets - David Bowie :( + Tool music videos + very well composed soundtrack + some WWII action in Spain + graphic violence - english + spanish with subtitles = academy award nominee (and hopefully future winner) for Best foreign language film of the year.

This movie is stunning. But it can be gory at times - and I mean simple and necessary to the story, but quite explicit. It was done by Guillermo del Toro who did Hellboy and some other work. Btw, did I mention it feels like a Tool video at times?!? Very interesting visually - well done level of contrast. Strange little fantasy/horror/war flick as wikipedia has it pegged.

Anyone else taken a look at it?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  2. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

on DVD???
    sounds like something i would love to check out

3. TommyTheCat

TommyTheCat Gonzo Scientist

I think its in theaters and "for the consideration" of the awards...if you know what I mean.

4. E_SolSi

yep just checked... still in theaters... i think i might have to go see this tonight

5. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

well now you got me interested. i think its a limited release so im probably gonna have to drive back to the area around my office to see it. guess ill have to setup some time after work....i hate the drive to/from the office, even outside of rush hour.

6. E_SolSi

went and saw it last night... awesome movie... and i have to agree with TommyTheCat's review... pretty much spot on
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: highly recommended

7. EGProject

EGProject YEEEEAAHHHHH

Saw it two weeks ago, and while I'll admit it was a beautifully done movie with great acting and visuals - it lacked in the overall execution. While I didn't want a storybook ending, the very end seemed a bit lame in contrast to some of the crazy shit going on in the rest of the movie. Gore was interesting in some parts, but uneeded in others.

I loved the plot and the acting though. For the most part is was paced like a Disney-esque movie, but I loved when you saw the parts no Disney producer would ever allow into the final cut. Mainly the head maid stabbing the general with a bread knife, and then fishooking him in the mouth.

I'll give it a 7.8 out of 10.

8. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Katie liked it, but thought it was a little weird too. I'll see it if I see it.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted