PC Building Checklist

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

:p

And all of them are running at spec. I hit the limits of air cooling for consumer grade chips a long time ago.

:p

And all of them are running at spec. I hit the limits of air cooling for consumer grade chips a long time ago.

I think Intel did that themselves with netburst p4's and pd's, haha.

Anyway, have you seen the Tuniq towers or Thermaltake Ultra 120s or the other monster coolers? Theyre right next to the best wonder kits.

Yeah, Netburst was way too power hungry and threw way too much heat.

I've seen the miracle heat sinks, but since I've gone with water I won't go back. It's so much easier to move the heat to one really large radiator, then get rid of it there.

Not to mention how much longer it takes to heat up the water compared to a copper heatsink/fan! Yeah I've gone water too, and I won't go back. Desktop is CPU & GPU water cooled, server is multi CPU water cooled.

Been there, done that, MP3 head units are now common. :)

But video recording is not, so maybe I'll go back to a PC in the car...

Yes, yes, yes, head units dont qualify as computers. I'm talking, run music, games, video, AND datalogging. Multi core is now, memory is cheap. Might i suggest flash based storage with removable laptop hard drives for large storage. There's so many possibilities.

I need a touchscreen... anyone? lol

Yes, yes, yes, head units dont qualify as computers. I'm talking, run music, games, video, AND datalogging. Multi core is now, memory is cheap. Might i suggest flash based storage with removable laptop hard drives for large storage. There's so many possibilities.

I need a touchscreen... anyone? lol

The real trick for an in car PC is internet access.

I'd love to have enough bandwidth to drop a Myth frontend in my car.

not really a trick. just use one of those verizon or sprint broadband aircards. expensive though. about 50-60/month for unlimited

yeah he's right. no trick. just a premium. if you dont mind paying the same as 8meg comcast around here ($60) for about 768k downstream, basicly a low speed DSL connection. Not to mention latency.

No cellular gaming! That's for sure. 100ms of lag isn't uncommon.

If my buddies can make their cars last long enough, we've been planning on putting a PC in each, and having an adhoc wifi network between cars with instant messaging or hands free voice chat. We're nerds lol.

K but I feel like we're digressing from the thread topic.

Mouse/keyboard/monitor?

Xbox 360 controller to play those racing games?

I'm also gonna light the fire on the Vista/XP debate (maybe). Go XP. XP x64! Or Server 2003 (but not if your paying for it). Vista blows. My .02

yeah he's right. no trick. just a premium. if you dont mind paying the same as 8meg comcast around here ($60) for about 768k downstream, basicly a low speed DSL connection. Not to mention latency.

768k won't cut it. Not by a longshot.

I'm also gonna light the fire on the Vista/XP debate (maybe). Go XP. XP x64! Or Server 2003 (but not if your paying for it). Vista blows. My .02

I wouldn't install either.

Back