Penalty box

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tylonalsnifnfool

Here at my college we have a "penalty box" that your computer is put in if you are caught useing a p2p program. here is a copy of how it works:

1. The Penalty Box Revealed

Recently we have heard concerns expressed about the Penalty Box. We would like to share with you the reasons for its existence and how it works.

In October, we surveyed all computers at one moment in time. The data showed that over 82% of the computers had less than 20 connections at one time, but the other computers had hundreds of connections to outside computers. Each of these connections was using significant bandwidth. So, we developed the Penalty Box software to control the traffic.

Currently, we check six items on each computer as it is used. Four of these items are various types of connections, another item is the total number of characters the computer transfers in or out of the campus in one day, and the last item is the status of Peer-to-Peer (P2P) file sharing usage.

The rules used at this time are:

Total connection per minute ----- >= 250

Failed connections per minute --- >= 100

Server connections per minute --- >= 175

Client connections per minute --- >= 175

Total bytes transferred per day - >= 2 GB

Using P2P program --------------- yes

If any of these conditions are true at the time we scan Internet traffic, the computer is placed in the Penalty Box and the user is notified the next time they use a web browser. When in the Penalty Box, the Internet connection is set to 56 Kbps. This is the speed of a very fast dialup connection. It should be more than fast enough to do normal Internet activities. However, if the computer is infected with a virus, has a lot of spyware or adware, or P2P programs are not removed, then Internet usage will be slow. It should be noted that on-campus services are not impacted. E-mail, file services, BlackBoard, Banner Web, license servers, etc. will all continue to work at normal speeds.

The computer will remain in the Penalty Box for two days. During that time, it is hoped that the user will correct the issue that caused the computer to be placed in the Penalty Box. If the computer is detected to have a high connection count or continues to use P2P while in the Penalty Box, counters will be reset and the computer will be marked to stay in the Penalty Box for two days from that point in time. It is possible, if nothing is done to correct the problem, a computer could stay in the Penalty Box indefinitely.

I was wondering if there would be any way to use p2p programs without being caught and stuck with a shity connnection for a few days.

Good proxy (internally) where you can maintain a constant connection, then limit your bandwidth usage to less than 2 GB a day.

I should have never posted this because when it comes to computers :imfucktard: . So nomatter what you say to me i probaly won't have a damn clue. All I know is:
1. Using alot of bandwidth=Bad
2. P2P Sharing=Bad

So no further input is required due to the fact that i'm a :stfunoob: when it comes to computers

Back