Performance Wise Modification?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ovcrash

I have 2000$ to put on my 1997 prelude. What can i do, performance wise, that would be the most significant to performance?
A turbo is more then 2000$. But what can i do that would change atleast alittle the performance of my prelude, beside intake and headers and exhaust i already have that.

thanks for your tips

Sorry, i have to specify that it's 2000$ can. Really thing i can still get Skunk2 intake manifold and camshafts?

Skunk2's intake mani for H22's isn't out yet. Supposed to be soon though.

Maybe upgrade your valvetrain. Cams, valves, springs, retainers. Send the head off to get port-n-polished if you can afford the downtime.

Build your bottom end. Pistons, rods, etc.

Clutch and flywheel.

Or work on your suspension/brakes. It's often overlooked, and can help performance more than power adders.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Apr 22 2003, 10:49 AM
Maybe upgrade your valvetrain. Cams, valves, springs, retainers. Send the head off to get port-n-polished if you can afford the downtime.

You think with 2000$ Can, i can do all of this?

Good one Afipunk21 :D it's gonna probably go there one day! :D

2000$Can = 1361.10$ USD.

Man canadian money sucks! :blink:

Afipunk21 ---> Hehe.

You could easily do a full valvetrain upgrade for that, with a little left over. Don't think a PNP could be fit in that budget though.

changing the injector would not be good to? but i guess i have to change fuel rail, fuel pump if i change de injectors?

You don't need to change the fuel rail or pump if you swap injectors. But you'd only need to upgrade the fuel system if you're running boost or a highly-tuned n/a application.

if u know how to read and follow instructions good plus take things apart and put back together

buy used prelude type s pistons and chip ur ecu

pistons 300-450
gasket kit 200-300
chip ecu chips r $30
take 2 a electronic shop to install $60

now u got money left 4 red lobsters

jdm prelude type s 220hp
easy 20 hp gain

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Apr 22 2003, 10:49 AM
Skunk2's intake mani for H22's isn't out yet. Supposed to be soon though.

skunk2 just came out with the intake mano for the h22a, and the sohc engines...has an ad in the new superstreet

Obviously I/H/E if you don't already have it
cam gears and pulleys are also going to help a lot. short shifter. don't upgrade your fuel sytem until you have a lot more n/a power. fuel is a lot of $$$ for little gain, for now anyways.

TOMTOM, you won't be able to get a 20hp gain just from a simple piston swap and it won't be a prelude S just because you swap those slugs out.

GET_NICK, came gears will not do anything unless you adjust them, with stock cams expect to get about 0.00001 hp out of them. pulleys are virtually pointless, they're a waste of money cuz they cause vibration which can cause damage to the component you have them installed on during high revs.

i say get some cams and the basics(i/h/e). you'll still have a few bucks left over.

cams = $600
intake = $100
header = $250
exhaust = $300

TOTAL = $1250

cash left over = $110

The extra 20 horses in a Type S come from pistons, cams, and a ported-n-polished head and intake manifold.

And you can get Type S pistons at groupbuycenter.com for $195.

Originally posted by vpSPOONsol@Apr 22 2003, 10:44 PM
skunk2 just came out with the intake mano for the h22a, and the sohc engines...has an ad in the new superstreet

If this is true I'll be a very happy camper.

Back