Phone Interview with Sr Recruiter/Living in Dallas.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Knowing B's background I should have assumed he meant programming languages, but I've never been asked that question and had it relate to programming languages. So that's not where my mind went.

Seems like you should go towards project management if you can. Also pick up a book on some macro level for languages and systems. That's where I'm heading. Then I can hire analysts and not be one.

Every sys anly I've ever met did know at least basics of coding stuff like batch files, and so forth.

Sounds like you're more in the business analyst role of requirements, etc, not actual systems.

i didn't care for dallas the few days i spent there for a conference.

Thanks Mike. I might take you up on that offer at some point. I'd really like to stay in the energy sector, so I'm going to give it a few months and see if anything opens up at the Oil & Gas companies that I know of in Dallas.

As for languages, I only know English. I remember a bit of Spanish from high school, and can cuss you out in Cantonese from my travels in Hong Kong.

You know more Cantonese than I do then. :)

Lol....I thought that was a weird question.

We must have different ideas of what a Systems Analyst does. I'm not a developer and I don't work in computer languages at all. I'm basically the liaison between the business users and the IT department. I support business applications throughout the design, build, testing, and implementation of those applications. On any given project I will probably work with business users, developers, and Server/Network Admins based on what I need in terms of hardware, storage, networks to complete a project.

Different fields have different definitions for "systems." System engineering where I am is something completely different, and you can be an analyst for just about anything.

Bump.

Well I'm finally moving to Dallas. I've accepted a position working for another oil & gas company dealing with the same applications I currently support. New salary is a 35% raise over what my current job is paying so I'm quite happy. I just put in my notice with my current company today and gave them 2 weeks before I officially resign.

Plan to move that weekend, so should be in Dallas full time by the 17th of August.

There's like 6 of us now...but you and TeinGirl are on the northwest, someone else is in Ft Worth, another is in far east, and I'm in central....

What area did you end up moving to, @lswhitecivic ?

Back