1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

piston ring ?'s

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by Periculum, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Periculum

Periculum Senior Member

Since Ive got the head off (91 CRX HF)I was wondering about changing the piston rings, but I have no clue where to buy them. Looked online and found nothing to beat an advance auto price yet. Are there any companies I want to hunt for or stray away from?

I was also wondering if there was a way to test the rings with the head off to see if I should even waste my time.

And finally what oversize rings do for a car and if there would be any reason for me to put oversize in my delivery car.

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com
    http://www.importbuilders.com

You can't really test the rings with the head off- you need to build some pressure on top of them and test leakage (leakdown test).

Oversize rings let you run oversize pistons. They won't work with stock pistons- so there's no reason for you to put them in your delivery car unless you're going to replace the pistons with larger units.

3. Periculum

Periculum Senior Member

I knew there was something I forgot to do before I took the thing apart. I had done compression beforehand though and got 130-130-90-130. The 90 cylinder was the one with lots of carbon on the cylinder head and piston. It has 180k on the engine, so even if the rings werent bad im assuming it would be a good time to fix them. Thanks for the websites.

4. Periculum

Periculum Senior Member

Couldnt find any for the d15b6 unless they fit another engine and I just dont know the size.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted