Piston Test: Wiseco VS CP VS JE VS ARIAS VS ROSS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

very interesting... I was planning to get custom CPs cause I can get them cheap through Rocket. Maybe a second fun comparison would be all-out-top-of-the-line custom work from each manufacturer? Most ppl who are serious about building a motor get custom pistons anyways... (At least most that I know...)

NOTE: THIS INFORMATION IS COPYRIGHTED. USING IT ON ANY WEB SITE WITHOUT MY PERMISSION IS ILLEGAL, and the law will be used against you. You have to ask me first, and get it in writing you can use it. I mean it.

i give it 30 min :D

good write up dude. Kinda glad i have JE's (at least... lol)

Originally posted by radnulb@Jun 29 2004, 02:19 PM
very interesting... I was planning to get custom CPs cause I can get them cheap through Rocket. Maybe a second fun comparison would be all-out-top-of-the-line custom work from each manufacturer? Most ppl who are serious about building a motor get custom pistons anyways... (At least most that I know...)

Also, whether its custom or not means nothing. The test measured quality. Think about it. The machines at each company don't discriminate from stock shelf and custom.

Look at it this way.

CP, say for part number SC7020 which is 84 MM 9:1 piston.

List on it is: $850 dollars!
Racer on it is: $510
Dealer on it is: $$425
thats with no rings, I believe. Add rings, about $60 or so, and you get:
$910 list
$570 Racer
$485 dealer
thats for stock shelf. IF they don't already come with rings. They might, but it doesnt say. Take off about $60 if they do.
Now lets talk custom to match a Wiseco piston, thats stock shelf. You have to add these options.
we will use Dealer prices for the heck of it.
Offset wrist pin: $24
Skirt Coatings: $86
Slipskirt/X Style they call it, forging: $40
upgraded rings, from XC to XX (not listed, but I am going to guess $20-$40)
to DEALER PRICE is: $655-$675 dollars to be a similar product to Wiseco's stock shelf parts! And I am not even sure the above price comes with wrist pins. The above is an estimation, locks might come with it.

So you have to do a $15,000 buy in, and whore it out way way less than even dealer price to even sell any and be competitive! You see what I am getting at?

Ready to buy Wiseco's now? lol.

Jeff

y0 Jeff!

I still plan on picking up a set of 84mm 9.0:1 Wiseco pistons from ya, sorry it's taking so long, I decided to get all the "expensive" stuff first like the full-race turbo manifold and I just ordered my f-r downpipe and hondata s200w/b, 3 step rev limiter, chipped p28 and 3 bar MAP sensor which took its toll on my wallet. But I'm getting there slow but surely :) Pistons and rods are next on my list.

cool article Jeff.:thumbsup:

And I bought Arias pistons for my classic car :(

but I didn't pay much, $400 for a set of eight, with polished rods and file gapped rings :)

Couple things:

1. Your prices on the CPs are still way high. Granted I get *very* preferential pricing from Rocket, but I'm comparing the price I was offered them for with your "dealer" price and I'm still lower, with all the extras included. I'm not publicly allowed to discuss that price or I lose my pricing - you know how it is.

2. Why did you choose 84mm? If you were trying to compare the most common pistons used for motor builds, wouldn't a 81mm have been a better choice? "Shelf" pistons imply everyday builds to me...

tell you what. Send me 1 of the "custom" CP pistons you get and I will compare it to a stock shelf wiseco.

Watch how many more options the Wiseco has on it, that your CP's won't unless you pay alot more money. I have the CP dealer and wholesale 15,000 buy in, price list right here. I know exactly how much all CP dealers "should be" paying for their stuff. Thats public information. And to have everything the same, options wise, coated, upgraded ring package, offset pins, X style forging, etc. The 15k guy's PRICE is going to be in excess of $550 bucks. Thats if you did a $15k buy in. So nobody can sell you something for $465 when they bought it for $550+.

You have to compare apples to apples. Full rounds are not going to compete with the lighter, more advanced X style slipper forgings with coated skirts.

Jeff

I think the revised piston comparison sounds like a great idea Jeff! I will do my best to take you up on that. Be warned though - I will be using 81mm NOT 84mm pistons. You'll have to do a comparison between the 81mm IB/Wisecos and the CPs I send.

being the curious little engineer major that i am, whats the advantage of having an offset wrist pin as opposed to not offset? and in what way is the piston offset? pictures and technical explainations help :)

among other things, offset wrist pins will make your pistons a LOT quieter. :) If done properly, can eliminate the rather distinct "sound" of forged pistons, making a motor sound more stock-like.

Originally posted by spydy43@Jun 30 2004, 04:06 PM
Just curious how come the wiseco piston was the only slipper style piston used in the test?

Because Wiseco includes slipper in their stock shelf and everyone else there doesn't.

Offset wrist pins make your piston quieter.

I don;t understand why people would have a 81 MM "custom" piston made? what compression are you talking about?

I will see what I can do for you.

Jeff

custom cause I'm picky... :)

Things like offset wrist pins, hemispherical disc configuration, deeper valve reliefs, improved rings, and precisely 9.25:1 compression in a LS motor are not standard features of any shelf piston I know.

you just made me laugh. lol

Wiseco makes a 81 MM 9.3:1 compression piston, with offset wrist pins, coated skirts, deeper reliefs and the best rings included!!!!

haha. Somebody is yanking you, Wiseco carries that stock shelf!

I got it in stock man. haha.

actually, to be precise, its 9.2xx compression!!!

Somebody told you Wiseco didn't make it?
It weighs 268 grams, and the wrist pin is like 84 grams.

Comes standard with the upgraded rings!! I guess you didn't know? You just described EXACTLY a stock shelf wiseco, except in addition, its slipper skirt standard!

Jeff

the dish is somewhat deep, and cut circular/hemispherical. very nice radius in the circular side areas. I have them all right here, including the CP. The Wiseco has the best radius circular angle on it (ramped). Very clean. Its ok, we can compare it to yours when you get it.

You didn't know Wiseco carried that did you? If I made a custom for you, it would probably weigh about 250 grams or so.

Jeff

I also want to mention, if anyone thinks I fixed this test, they are dilusional and mental.

Totally done 3rd party.

People are already saying that. They are ignorant of the facts. Its a straight test. If anyone chooses to believe otherwise, they are in denial.

well, that out of the way, I will pay to have more things tested.

Jeff

I trust ya Jeff... Ill be buying 12:1 Wiseco's from you.. in a little while, like next summer...

Pistons/Rods from you for sure... along with a few more of my friends... constantly wearing your shirt gets people interested...

Back