pistons, pistons, pistons?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RED_95_GSR

i am doing a full rebuild on my 95 b18c1. i am planning on running a nos 150 direct port nitrous system. what pistons, (brand and compression) should i go with? i wanted JE 10:1's but all i can find are 9.8:1's. will this be okay? also, with a fully built motor, would i be better off to run the nitrous or just run higher compression, say 12:1 or 12.5:1 and go for a n/a build up? thanks for your help, any and all will be appreciated...

The difference between running 10.0:1 or 9.8:1 is almost non-existent... I wouldn't worry too much about it. If anything, the lower compression will make your engine slightly easier to tune.

A 150 shot of nitrous will probably get you more power than an all motor 12.5:1 compression build, but you will have to keep refilling the bottle. If you're building this engine to just race on the drag strip every now and then, and you're ok with lower performance in day-to-day driving, I would go ahead and run the 9.8:1 and nitrous. If you're going to be using this power all the time and are worried about the cost of bottle fills, I would just run all motor. After you've filled your bottle 20 times, you've covered quite a bit of your high compression build cost already.

Then again, you could just run high compression and nitrous. Just know how to tune. :)

i wanna take the car to the strip, but i still want it to be fairly quick as a daily driver. would CP 11:1's still be safe with the nitrous but at the same time give me the performance as a daily driver (off the bottle)?

also, does anyone have experience with crank knifeedging? is it safe and is it worth the money?

and, does anyone know of a reputable honda/acura tuner in the lower georgia upper florida area?

thanks for all the help!

You can spray on 11:1 compression- just make sure you have everything tuned really well. There is still some compromise though. For instance, you could spec out cams and headwork that would work best with just your high compression as an all motor setup, but if you want the absolute best power while you're spraying, you'll want something a little different. It's like trying to set up an engine to run at 100% both with and without a turbo. Understand? You'll have to choose which will be your preferred configuration for max power- on the juice or off of it.

Lots of people knife their cranks as daily drivers without any problems, but I would just leave the crank alone. People are still making 260whp on a B block all motor on pump gas without touching the crank.

No clues on the tuners in that area...

i sugest you get a small ( 1 or2 gallon) fuel cell and mount it under you hood somewhere and put only 116 octane (or something really high) in it. when u juice it will take the extra fuel from that fuel cell rather than just adding more 91 octane. i have this setup on my 81 z28 camaro. im running a 383 Small block chevy making about 9.2:1 and 500 hp all motor. i shoot a 300 shot on it with C16 (116) octane
obviously im only talking about wet kits

i was planning on running hondata....... im just not sure of anywhere in my area that i could go to have it properly tuned?

could i use an apexi v-afc in conjuction with the hondata so that i could switch fuel maps when running on pump gas and off the bottle(daily driving)?

Back