Planning on going to the state ref, which ECU?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Airbag Club

Hi, I recently put a 2000 B18C5 swap into my 1999 Civic hatchback. The motor is legit with paperwork, and I want to get my car BAR'ed. My question is, what ECU should I run for the test? Reason asking is because the 99-00 Integra ECU's all have the immobilizer chips. I removed the immobilizer chip on my ECU, which throws a constant CEL, and that is an automatic fail at the state ref. I can think of 2 options that might work, but I need some input.

Option 1 - I bought a 99-00 Civic SI ECU. I was thinking of swapping the internals out of this ECU and putting it into the P73 casing. That way the casing matches my motor, and it will pass visual. However, will the SI ECU give me the right readings and help me pass smog? I heard that this ECU on this motor runs a bit lean, would that affect smog in a good way or bad way?

Option 2 - Run a 97-98 USDM ITR P73 ECU. I would have to run an OBD2B to OBD2A jumper harness. I'm now curious, would the use of a jumper harness still allow me to pass visual? I mean, the P73 code on the casing would still match with the motor, and it still is an OBD2 ITR ECU..

I'm pretty much stumped here, any input, help, or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

I see you live in Cali be ready for a ton of people on here to bash you it's just what they do. Ok now to the point I say you should use a P73 and get the adapter harness but try to conseal the harness a little bit I think they are illegal. Good Luck I am going to have to do this at the end of the year and have no clue what I am going to do.

99-00 si ecu's have the imob. too so do usdm itr p73's.
you pretty much just wasted your money there...

there's no good way to do it, besides move out of that god forsaken state, or pay off a shady smog guy with a c-note.

actually, SI ECU's DO NOT have an immobilizer, only the integra ECU's do. I plugged in the SI ECU last night in order to check my codes.

For the integra ECU, with the immobilizer removed, you can not read the codes by the blinking lights, as the light stays on constant.. once i plugged in the SI ECU and started the car, the light started flashing..

Originally posted by Airbag Club@Sep 13 2005, 10:32 AM
anyone else have any other suggestions?
[post=553749]Quoted post[/post]​

I dont know much about ecu's, but i would think you would need a type r ecu..not sure what year....i had to change my ecu , i'm taking my car to state ref. too, well i already did, they just gave a list of things to do...good luck man...cali is a bitch when it comes to smog,,,i know personally

Originally posted by eg6sir+Sep 13 2005, 11:39 AM-->
Airbag Club
@Sep 13 2005, 10:32 AM
anyone else have any other suggestions?
[post=553749]Quoted post[/post]​

I dont know much about ecu's, but i would think you would need a type r ecu..not sure what year....i had to change my ecu , i'm taking my car to state ref. too, well i already did, they just gave a list of things to do...good luck man...cali is a bitch when it comes to smog,,,i know personally
[post=553789]Quoted post[/post]​

i know.. i can't use the 00-01 ITR ECU because of the removed immobilizer which throws a constant CEL, which is automatic fail. I might try to run a 97-98 ITR ECU with a jumper harness, and try to conceal the jumper harness...wrap it up with a lot of tape and try to make it look oem..

Quoted post[/post]]
if u have an r ecu with the immobilizer get ur car towed to a honda/acura dealer and have them reprogram the key

that means that i would have to swap out my ignition switch to one with a coded key, and redo some of my wiring, to tell my ECU that i am now running a coded key. too much work. i also already broke off the immobilizer on the ECU, so i can drive my car.

anyways, has anyone BARed their 00-01 ITR motor in a EG/EK? I am currently running a 98 ITR ECU with a jumper harness and have no CEL's, but I don't know if I am allowed to use this setup at the state ref..

I'm pretty sure you won't pass even with the jumper harness. So what did you end up doing? Have you had any luck passing?

Back