POCKET BIKES, OPINIONS?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

why would you not just get a street legal YSR 50? the actually have a 5 speed tranny w/clutch and are a little bigger then pocket bikes. i used to have one that i swapped a KX 80 engine onto it and it would do about 75-80mph. there are some people that put 100cc engines onto them and say they haul ass if you can keep the front tire down.
wheelie.jpg

rone.jpg

Dude, I just did some research on the YSR 50, and I LOVE THIS BIKE. I'm seriously going to try to track one down.

There are 5 on Ebay right now, but people want some pretty steep prices for them. I'm sure I could find one somewhere for cheap. Here is a Honda 250 that is the same size as the YSR, lighter and thinner.
http://drowningnotwaving.net/ed/NSR250.jpg...dfd40691ddf5a42 (Dynamic Image)
My friend owned this in New Zealand. He said it was about as fast as a mild 600 sportbike, but ran on 2stroke fuel and was made illegal in NZ. He also thinks that the 250 2stroke may be illegal here too. But I can get one there, shipped over, for $1400 or so. It's a beautiful looking bike.

-> Steve

there was some random asian named 150 cc ninja look alike on ebay earlier this week

same concept as what you're going for...
it was going for around 1500... brand new

good luck trying to find one for a decent price that is in good condition. i bought mine brand new in '91 from the yamaha dealer and it was $1499. i have been looking to get another one but no luck so far.

id like to get a mini chopper :) do it up like a chopper from WestCoast Choppers or something

so just an update for any interested parties...

the bikes are almost 500 bucks from pep boys so thats out

i went to auto zone last night after finding out they had 2 in stock
one of the mini's and one midi...

the mini was 47cc, tiny as hell, and in general a bitch to ride
but it was quick...

the midi looked much better
had more shit like lights, signals, electric start, full fairings, etc
only down fall is you need to hook it to a power source for the electric start
kinda gay, so that would need to have a battery custom installed for functionality
it was much more comfortable but a lot slower than the smaller one
it was the 49cc model...
the footpegs are way low to the ground so the turning radius is forced to be huge

they sold for 400 for the small fast one, or 450 for the large slow one that looked better... but the large one was def more comfortable

and just a heads up
we asked about the price and the guy told us he could give us 10% off, just incase anyone goes to buy one, don't pay full price

not sure about this, but i think the 47cc one is faster because it has a higher compression ratio, so shaving the jug or head might be an option to the tuner type...

the mini was light enough to pick up and throw in your trunk but the midi weighed in at about 100 pounds...

the midi has full disk and front and rear suspension, something the mini lacks...

so my final conclusion is i wouldn;t pay 400 bucks for one of those bikes...
i still think it would get old fast, not as fast if you have a bunch of friends with them, but you can def get more for your money if you got something else...

you know, these things have been turning up like crazy in pawn shops.

Also, I am really liking the idea of a registerable, licenced mini bike. The 50 cc bikes are neat to tool around in, but I found these Honda 250s for cheap in New Zealand, and I can get it shipped. But I don't know why there are aren't any low-displacement bikes on the roads in the US? Is there a minimum or something?

Also, check out the Honda website. Honda factory builds a pocket bike, and it's on their "street bike" section, even though it's not street legal. Also on their site is a replica Dream 50. Honda says the 50cc is not legal for road use. I dunno man, If laws crush my dreams of owning and riding one of these little things I'll be pissed.

-> Steve

Dude, pocketbike are sweet for just messin around...I'd love to have one just to ride around my college campus....BUT..At Drift Atlanta, it was like everybody there had one and I saw a guy screw up bad on one...he was goin down this hill right in front of where we were camping, and he tries to pop a wheely to show off for us...we were kinda cheerin him on..and he pops it up too much and the bike flies out from under him, but he keeps givin it gas...keep in mind he is wearin shorts and the bike if freakin draggin him on his knees down this hill...finally after about 15 feet he and the bike fall over....me and my buddies were like "AAAAhhhhh SHEEEETTT!" He jumps up...it looks like he doesnt even have skin on his knees anymore and he says "Its not my bike" We were lik wtf ya know...and then he got back on it and rode off...We joked around saying he was bleedin to death in the woods or something..Then the next day we see him and WOW he tore his knees up like crazy...thats a story he is gunna get to tell his grandkids when they see his furked up knees, lol.

Originally posted by 90 accord+Jul 2 2004, 01:05 AM-->
@Jul 2 2004, 12:11 AM
Nice pocket bike, In New Zealand. I can have it crated and shipped for about $200. That's NZ price, so it comes to about $500 USD.

Features
Type Road
Make KAZUMA
Model ZD
Year 2004
Colour Blue
Capacity (cc) 40
Price $900

looks like it says 900 to me?

$900 NEW ZEALAND.

Comes to ABOUT $500 USD.

-> Steve