Possibly Totaled Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awptickes

unimpressed by you
VIP
Ok, I got into an accident yesterday with an Audi S6, he pulled out in front of me, then slammed on the brakes. The insurance companies haven't done an investigation yet because they are all on Holiday.

My insurance company told me "Don't be shocked if the car does get totaled. It IS 7 years old." My car is a 2000, and it's worth 6,200 at blue book value. How the hell could it cost that much to repair it? Should I be worried about it being totaled?

Here are some pictures of the damage, they're kinda shitty because they were taken at the scene. I've got some more that are going to be uploaded in a bit.

20-12-07_1151.jpg

20-12-07_1152.jpg

20-12-07_1153.jpg

20-12-07_1155.jpg

20-12-07_1156.jpg

20-12-07_1157.jpg

20-12-07_1454.jpg

20-12-07_1455.jpg

20-12-07_1456.jpg

Time for a new front clip !

At least you're ok. If it costs more than that to fix, TAKE THE WRITE OFF.

If I lived in Germany, I would have some WAY cool cars :)

hondas are so fragile. plus with the new safety crumple zones, they are made to absorb the impact.

like steve says. at least you are ok. did they say who was at fault yet?

No, they won't know who is at fault until after christmas, or maybe even after the new year. Because of how he pulled out in front of me, there needs to be an investigation.

About buying it back from a junkyard: Can't happen. Not here. When a car is totaled, the title is stripped, and the car is either crushed, or sold as scrap. You can't re-register a car with a scrap title.

We were both sitting there at a T-Junction, on the base of the 'T' he pulled out pretty quickly, turned to the right, and then slammed on the brakes. I hit the brakes as well, and I ended up skidding on some ice, after the ABS enabled I hit him. His insurance company already filed a claim with mine, and mine is just sitting there waiting for the police report. The worst part is that I'm going to get a ticket and points off my license because my car skidded.

I did 2k in damage to my pos hatch and they didn't total it. I hit in the exact same place, except it looked much worse.

the only way they would total a car with a $6,000 + blue book is if you did some frame damage, or if you bent your front axel. How fast were you going when you actually made contact with him? have you driven the car since then? or was it towed? If the car still drives straight, and all that was done is cosmetic damage then chances are it shouldn't be totaled. Frame damage is way expensive to fix so that is where you would probably end up getting the car totaled. but best of luck from the looks of it I hope they don't total it cause it doesn't look like the damage would be extremely hard to fix. Can you say body styling kit?

Totalburnout: It's an s6, trust me, I saw the registration. It's an A6 with the S-Line package, which makes it an s6.

Phillyphreak: thanks. It drives straight, and when I drove it to the bodyshop there weren't any problems with it.

Everyone else: Thanks for the support.

Now I've got another problem though, the stupid rental car they gave me (a dodge neon) had a nice little problem with the differental locking up after I swerved to avoid a deer in the road. I slid about 100 meters down the road, took out a road-marker, while making about 3 360's and one 180. Now I get to deal with that. Good times, nice way to get into the Christmas spirit dealing with insurance companies.

you need a good bicycle the way your luck is going.

hope things get better for you.

get_nick: yeah, I'm going to rely on other people for rides for a while. My back hurts too much to drive right now.

phillyphreak: nah, not at all.

Happy Christmas everyone.

Damn the damage doesnt look that bad. Thats a bad place to hit though. I hit a tree in my hatch and it hit right in between the headlight and grille. Drove it home no problems though.

Not totaled, just 1800 worth of damage. Not sure what currency the adjuster was talking about, but that's not as bad as I thought. $500 deductible makes it affordable.

Now I get to wait. And wait some more. And wait and hope. And hope and wait. And hope they don't fuck up the paint while waiting. And wait. And wait. And drive a 899cc fiat. And wait. And wait some more. And hope that the fiat doesn't take a big smelly dump while I'm driving it. Then wait some more.

They hope it'll be fixed and done by January 15th or so. That's the date they gave me as the total deadline, so it may be done before then.

I'm going to the doctor about the back pain I incurred while driving the rental car. (long story, but the diferental locked up while driving, a few 360's later I had some back pain.) Right now I've got some drugs that are alright, Gabapentin seems to be working pretty well.

Back