Post-Oil Change

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mikeislord

Ok, so after I change the oil, my car runs like a dream, I get better gas mileage, etc.. for maybe 600 miles. Then the car runs alright for a while, by the time it gets towards maybe 2000-2500 miles, it absolutely runs like crap. I always change the oil every 3000 but this is a bit ridiculous. This last oil change, I emptied about 4.5 qts of black-ass oil out of my H22, (5.1 qt capacity).. so I know Im burning some oil as well. My point is.. what the fuck? Does the type of oil I use make a difference here? I use 5w-30 because Jersey winters get cold, but a guy at work told me I should be running 10w-40. Would that make any difference? What about synthetic? I do drive mostly highway miles... I need opinions!

i use 10w30 in florida all year round, i dont know the exact rules when it comes to wieght but you might want to go to 10w30 blend....and see what happends....

hondas burn oil, its s given especialy if you rag on it......and please use an oem filter....they have a valve in them [ look in one] that keeps oil in the upper part of the engine for start up....i think the mobile1 ones have them also...not sure though

Don't use 10w-40. That's too thick. Don't know how your weather is right now but if it is still cold then you should be using 5w-30. 10w-30 will be fine once temps get about 50ish. Have you looked inside your engine? Do you have a bunch of sludge build up?

motors will burn oil, you know that right? :laugh:

The guy still has a problem if the engine runs like shit after running on the same oil for only 2-2.5k miles. :huh: Oil changes aren't intended to fix driveability problems except in diesels where oil pressure plays a part in fuel injection.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
motors will burn oil, you know that right? :laugh:

Of course.

Quoted post[/post]]
ya run a synthetic if your gonna push 2.5k miles

Think that'll make a difference? In the meanwhile I'm going to replace the plugs, wires, etc to see if that helps at all.
change your pcv valve.
Now that actually makes a little sense. Try that and see if it helps.
You don't have to run synthetic oil if you are going over 2.5k miles on an oil change. How does that relate to his problem?

Back