Posted good time but...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

webink_EK9

Anyway, it was good for me compared to what I had been running.
I pulled this time slip

RT .323 (slowest of the night)
60 2.299
1/8 9.113
1/4 14.083
MPH 98.90

I tried different launch techniques all night and different RPM's but always came up with bad wheel bounce. I remember people talking about a part that would stop this or at least make it better, but I though I had it already. I probably don't...but I don't remember what the part was or why I thought I had it. Anyone know what I'm talking about as far as what part helps this?

Well anyway, that was a fun run. I ran against a friends Mustang Bullet that ran a 14.017 on that same run. I just got to rub it in his face that I blasted him by 3 seconds at last weekends autoX.

It's called a jim-fab bar. If you had it, you'd know it.

It mounts where the stock tow "hooks" are under the radiator support and then extends back to the front lower control arms. They virtually eliminate wheel-hop.

I'd post a picture but i haven't had the time or inclination to figure out the new gallery.

Oh yeah, I did forget to say, I cheated and used 110 oct. race gas. My car runs so much better that stuff in it. May just stick with that from now on. Only $5 a gallon. Its a lot smoother running with that in it.

Thanks for the reply!! Will those help me with autoXing at all or just launch situations?

Thats not the H brace thing it sounds like. I need some of those. I guess not bouncing will let me hook up better at the start.

a jim-fab is NOT an H-brace but it works on the same principal. However, with a jim-fab you don't have to worry about interference once its mounted.

It will help considerably in auto-x with turn in and reduce the wheel hop should you spin the inside tire while turning.

Last time I looked I think they were selling for around $300

If your tires are bouncing then you're loosing traction. Lost traction=lost speed. Hell yes your times will improve with no wheel hop.

Ever noticed those bars that run parallel on either side of pony cars rear suspension? they eliminate wheel hop for RWD cars.

pony cars = mustangs? don't know much about all that and have never noticed them.

Can I keep my H brace and run those bars? As far as the inside wheel spinning part, doesn't my LSD take care of that? I don't lose traction much when autoXing, just when I get on the gas too hard, but thats not often.

Originally posted by webink_EK9@Oct 6 2004, 12:07 AM
pony cars = mustangs? don't know much about all that and have never noticed them.
[post=398910]Quoted post[/post]​

pretty much.

mustangs, Camaros, trans ams, the like.

I'm confused....

Wheel hop is caused when your tire spins and begins to bounce. If you have a LSD then you shouldn't be spinning your wheels hard enough to make them hop. What kind of LSD do you have? Did you have it installed or was it in there when you bought the car?

Take the H-bar off, sell it on e-bay and use the proceeds to offset the cost of a jim-fab.

You shouldn't spin while auto-x, that's a driver input error. However, when/if you do, the jim-fab helps reduce the consequences of the mistake.

Yes. pony cars=mustangs, camaros, novas, firebirds, trans-am, etc..

now that you know what you're looking at you'l start seeing them all the time. They are really popular (and necessary) on the older muscle cars

So I can't run my H brace and those bars? That sucks! I'd just stick to the h brace because I'm not having that problem while autoXing. And I get mad wheel hop and I've got a 99 stock ITR tranny. It was nice scratching into 4th lastnight. Hadn't done that before!

watch your o2 with that leaded fuel... it will tear it up in no time (like 100-500 miles)

full-race.com makes some nice traction bars. my sol has 0 wheel hop with azenis and 280whp

I put 5 gallons in and got about a quarter tank left, should I go fill up with 93?
I'll check out full-race too and get those bars. Do they work with my H brace thing or would I have to lose it?

Originally posted by Calesta@Oct 7 2004, 07:29 PM
They'll work with your brace.
[post=399731]Quoted post[/post]​

Thats all I needed to know. I'll have them on next week. What part are they on that jim-fab.com site? I'd like to order from them. Seem to have a good rep.

Dunno- just look it up. Here's a picture of my old Z10 setup with the "H" brace for you to look at:

underbody_med_01.jpg

The JimFab set mounts the bars a little farther outboard on the front, but otherwise the fit is pretty much the same as what I have in that picture.

the jimfab bars are the second ones on this page... http://www.jimfab.com/susp/susp.html

and the full-race traction bars are these... http://full-race.com/store/product_info.ph...&products_id=78

it's been said that the full-race bars are superior to the jimfab bars. i honestly don't know the details or else i'd tell you more, but as everybody knows full-race has always has top-notch shit. i'm sure calesta, B or somebody with more knowledge will fill you in a bit more to lean you one way or the other.

Well, I can't really find anything wrong with the Jimfab design- it's geometry is pretty damn close to perfect if it isn't there already. I've never experienced any binding with the Jimfab as I did with the Z10, so I don't see any reason to change it out again.

Note- the Z10 made more noise because the radius arms were sweeping different arcs than the lower control arms they were attached to, but I never had them bind up or cause any problems. The Jimfabs are whisper quiet in comparison. I assume it's because the bars are located better. I'm happy with the Jimfabs.

i cant even tell i have traction bars at all. noise, feel or otherwise. the wheels just do what they are supposed to do with 40 hp, and thats that.

full race :thumbsup:

Ordered full race. I'll try putting them on myself when I get them. I'll video tape it so when the car falls on me you can watch me die!

lmao. they are real easy to install dude. if your car falls off the jack onto you, you have other problems... haha

Back