Power loss

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92civicb18b1

The Trisexual
I'm just about finished swapping in my b18b1, but 1st my problem is when I rev it, it struggles a little bit, at around 1500 rpm, it hesitates up until around 2000 rpm. I think it may be just because I'm usin the stock DX ecu but I'm not sure. I dunno if it makes a difference but I do not have the shift linkage hooked up and I guess it's in gear cause when I let go off the clutch the speedo will also go up when I push the throttle. I can't tell you if the the hubs spin because I didn't put in the driveaxles yet.

first off, don't run the car without axles...not wise.

Next, it's studdering due to high resistance at just off idle, then it's probably a problem in the ignition systems. High resistance in the plug wires, incorrect gap, or maybe you ignition timing is WAY off. Set base timing (take ECU out of the equation by jumpering green plug under dash/passenger side). After base timing is set, check wires for high resistance or open, and check spark plugs. After that, I'd say you're definately looking at an ECU problem. you can take it out of gear by stikcing a screwdriver into the linkage and pulling it into nuetral, but PUT AXLES IN.

-B

Shit, so If I just wait till I put in correct ECU then I can skip setting the base timing (TW I do not understand what you said). I was stupid enough for just not going to strauss and buying some new spark plugs and wires. I messed around with it a bit and I had a a vaccum hose disconnected, It helped a little, but still got the hesitation. O and i gotta know why it isn't smart to run it without axles, I never heard that before so please enlighten me.

manual transmission fluid, whatever you use (I use redline fluids) "pick up" and run across and through the gears to lubricate them. So you either do not have any fluid in there (if it's not shooting out), which means you're murdering your tranny, or you have it on some kind of tilt not allowing fluid to come out. EIther way, I'd put the axles in...much safer!

definately change wires and plugs. you still need to set base timing. There is a green two pin connector under the passenger side dash near the door. Jump it (connect it some how, paperclips work good). That will allow you to set **base timing**. You'll need a timing light and have some one show you how to modulate the distributor to advance and retard timing. Good luck again!

dont wast your time messing with it when you are runnng your dx computer your computer (dx) will run it (duh) but it will not run it correct get the correct ecu and then mess with it chances are 99% that you will not have these problems also you do not have to jump the wire to time the motor that is just silly set it to 8 degrees and run it all that jumping the conector does is read codes it puts the computer in to diagnostic check now how would that help you time it? :ph34r: also know that this is the motor that i am running in my 92 cx hatch with the right computer and i have worked at honda for 2 years that does not include all the honda stuff that i have done before working at the dealer happy motering and have fun eating up all the punks with over priced b16 VTEC's
vtec is nice but tork wins races
doing it non vtec
92 hatch cx with b18b :worthy:

We've been over this already. According to my Helms manual (you should know what this is if you work for Honda :roll: ) stock timing for the LS engine is 15 degrees advanced. Not the 8 degrees shit you keep posting.

I might as well try both. and as for jumping the connectors, I was gonna kinda skip that step anyway

I fixed it, it was the throttle position sensor, I guess that 11 year old civic TPs just wasn;t doin it's job anymore. Set timing at about 8* and runs fine.

15 degree is right, listen to lsvtec, if you let off the timing pretty low you will lose a good amount of power, and another Q. If you don't have axles on and please tell me you atleast have 1 quart of tranny fluid in their, cause if you don't they you could be fucking up your tranny when messin with it.

Of course I do, I'm would let it run dry. I'd like to at least use this tranny once. LOL

sorry mister lsvtec i was looking in the wrong spot of the acura service manuel from acura not my helms from checkers
give a guy a break and quit talking shit
oh and also the (acura manuel from acura says 14)
so kiss my rear end
thanks and have a nice day
bitch

Originally posted by lsvtechater@Nov 2 2003, 09:10 PM
sorry mister lsvtec i was looking in the wrong spot of the acura service manuel from acura not my helms from checkers
so kiss my rear end
bitch

he made a second account just to talk shit.. LOL

Originally posted by lsvtechater@Nov 2 2003, 08:10 PM
so kiss my rear end
bitch

Really, was this necessary?

You Haynes manual might say 14 :roll:

Helms says 15.

LSVTEC... I think you misunderstood him.. that one guy at Acura, Manuel, told him it was 14. And Manuel is never wrong...

WTF, mine says 16, I'm gonna just go and set it in the middle (15).

You are absolutely right, I misread my manual. The B18A1 and the B17A1 both call for 16 degrees advance.

hmmm, I always thought the B series vtec motors got 16* and the LS/CRV were just a tad lower.

Oh well, assuming that setting it at 14-16 you will be fine.

Back