Prelude Gear Ratios, MPH vs RPMS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92civicb18b1

The Trisexual
I really just want to know what the top speed for a 90 Prelude S is. It's been buggin me out ever since I was being an idiot and topped it out.

6250 RPM in 5th gear

and

45, 55 and 65 mph in 4th and 5th, rpms.

I can't seem to find a VSS for it and I won't put $150 into the piece of shit. I'm already thinking of selling it as soon as I get the Civic running the way I want it too and going to buy an S-10 or Nissan Hardbody.

So...

As for the top speed, look up your ratios and do some math, as for the 45, 55, and 65, just call up a friend and get him to pace you on the highway. Have him run 45 and see where your at in 4th and 5th, etc.

hondaswap.com/files

netmph.xls

plug in the gear box and tire size.

done

you'll need your tire size, final drive ratio, and ratio of 5th gear, then its just some math. This formula should work, but I am making it up on the fly, so if anyone has one thats better lemme know...

Engine RPM / 5th gear ratio / final drive ratio = axle RPMs

axle RPMS / Tire Rotations per mile (Found Here) = Miles per minute

then...

Miles per minute x 60 = Miles per hour

Whooola, if I'm wrong lemme know, math is my bitch, but algebra was a looooong time ago

Damn, i guess the prelude is pretty quick then

140.26 MPH, and I swear to god it got up to speed fairly quick from 80 mph.

Ohh, I learned something new. I don't need my friend to drive beside me now, cause they'd be stupid anyway.

hey, just checking everything, are you sure that math is correct, because it says that my 92 dx hatch can hit a top speed of 176 mph, granted it will never have the power to get up there, but still, are you kidding me!!! i mean if thats true, then cool, but i didn't know the dx tansmission was so freakin long!!!

yes it's correct. and your off by about 6mph, I think they can do 170 if you have the power and aerodynamics to do it.

no, i got the math correct, i can take my rpms to 6950. but still thats freakin crazy, no sain man would do that in a civic hatch. you would need a but load of top end power.

Yep, it also depends on your wheel size. But I wouldn't do it unless it was a full out racecar. Shit I'd be pushing it at 140 with a hatch.

yeah, i'm runnin 205/45/zr16's, that is almost right on to my stock 13's, alittle off, but not by much. but seriously that is crazy. 7200 rpm's, what kind of motor ar you runnin, or is your ecu chipped?

145 in a properly built hatch isn't crazy :ph34r:
152 in a moderatly built del sol isn't that fast :ph34r:

for the record, neither car is mine. lol

oh no, don't get me wrong, 140, 145 is a decent speed, i'm saying doing 176 in a hatch, not happenin, 145 is acctually a fun speed to be at, i did that in my beimer in Germany, everyone cruizes around 100-150mph. i was doing 136mph one time and a nice porche blew by me like i was going backwards, he was haulin :) anyways, to get back to the thread, 175 is just plain nuts.

I have an LS-T in my hatch...

And I would do 145 in my hatch after I finish the suspension. 175, no.

On rt 80 one night, I was doing 121 in the prelude (something like that), and people were passing me. Not just Audis and Beamers, but fucking minivans. I was behind my friend in his taurus, he was doing about 125 and a CRX in front of him about 125 also. Audi blows by us all, then a beamer, a hyundai attempted to pass me but hit the speed limiter. Then out of no where a minivan slowly just creeps up and passes me and my friends fiance (don't ask why she was with me). He even looked at us and smiled. Shortly after a Honda Oddyssey does the same but a little fastrt. I couldn't understand how EVERYONE was cruising at a minimum of about 100-110 mph on RT. 80.

My old porsche stopped pulling at about ~149.

Back