Prelude Performance......

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MaliWho97

What are good performance upgrades for these cars? Thanks!!!!!!!!

First off, this isn't swap-related, so it's being moved...

Anyway, what exactly are you looking for? What are your plans? "Performance upgrades" is a broad term. :) N/A, forced induction, suspension, brakes, etc?

I just want a decently quick all motor car for time being. I'm thinking STR Intake Manifold and Ericks T.B. Underdrive pulley kit, fuel rail w/ FPR, AEM Intake, etc.

Originally posted by MaliWho97@Nov 18 2003, 11:53 AM
I just want a decently quick all motor car for time being. I'm thinking STR Intake Manifold and Ericks T.B. Underdrive pulley kit, fuel rail w/ FPR, AEM Intake, etc.

I take it you have an H22A motor?
Next you have to decide on how much money you want to spend.

There are a lot more qualified people on here than I am but here's what I would start with an AEM v2 intake. AEM claims that their newer V2 short ram intake makes as much power as their older Cold Air Intakes. Might as well get the V2 unless you want a specific color as hte V2 only comes in Titanium Silver powder.

Are you going to Turbo anytime soon? If not then might as well replace your stock Exhaust with a Greddy Evolution cat back exhaust system. RSR I think makes one for your Prelude as well. It has a smaller exhaust tip and about the same price as the Greddy system.

You could also replace the stock CAT with a Random Technology hi-flow cat. DC Sports SS or Ceramic Header would be good. Those 4 bolt on mods (Intake, Exhaust, CAT and Header) done together will usually yeild from 10 to 20 HP. At least that's what I gained on my 90 Accord F series motor after I did the professional dyno test.

If you're going turbo then that's a whole different way and from what people have said you need build up your engine a bit to handle the power of the turbo. Other people on this list know way more about that than I do so I won't say anymore on that for fear of talking out of Bum ;oP

AEM underdrive Power steering and alternator pulleys are good but only expect about a gain of +5 HP.

I'm not sure about the TB, Intake Manifold

Then there's a VAFC or other controller so you can re-tune your car to take more advantage of your mods, etc. This usually involves an experienced tuner and some dyno time to get it right.

A good ground wire kit for about $100.00 is supposed to gain about +3 to +5 more HP (I haven't dyno tested a kit yet so not sure if it actually gives what they claim) or you can make one yourself if you want for less but more time and you need a good crimper to do it, etc.

That's probably a good start for now. Probably others will have more / better advice on here....Bruce

Well, this is an engine/car building question, not a swap question. The forums at the top of the page are for swap-related questions only, and are noted as such.

Anyway, Bruce had some good suggestions above, as far as power is concerned. To save you some money, you won't need an upgraded fuel rail if you're running those mods. The stock Honda rail will be more than enough. Also, don't forget about suspension and brakes. Power won't do you any good if you can't handle or stop it.

Sorry for the bitching earlier man, I came to work with a chip on my shoulder.... Bad night..... I'm usually not like that. Hahaha Thanks for all the tips guys, you guys fucking rock. I know B & D series motors and what makes them go, but I've never done anything with an H22a.

I know this is off topic but do you have access to any weigh stations near you? I'd be interested to see how much a Prelude weighs. After all lightening your car is one way to increase speed ;)

I just use a weigh station near me in Oregon that is closed for the night and I just roll up onto the scale and the readout still works :) My 95 Accord is at about 2900 lbs with a full tank of gas and the following removed: Spare tire, tire jack and wrench, PS & A/C, and a couple of other minor things removed, me outside of the car, and a CF hood instead of stock hood and it has the stock 15" alloy 95 Accord wheels.
Bruce

Trust me, 5th gens are heavy! Lose as much weight as possible! I'd just start with your basic bolt ons like everyone is saying and go from there. Have you checked out www.preludeonline.com? Is yours the SH or base? Anyway good luck! :)

Base Prelude weight: (Man.) 2954lbs. (auto) 3009lbs
SH Prelude weight : 3042lbs.

Thanks for the weight reply. I actually have a 90 & 95 Accord. It looks like the 95 Accord and 95 Prelude base weight is close to the same. Interesting.
Bruce

Back