Prelude with 100k miles. will it run???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolidSnakeZero

im going to look at this car today. its a '95 prelude with 100k miles. how long should it last?

Originally posted by SolidSnakeZero@Oct 5 2003, 03:18 PM
im going to look at this car today. its a '95 prelude with 100k miles. how long should it last?

That all depends on the maintenance. If it is well maintained, I would ecpect the engine and tranny to last 200k plus. If it has a H22, make sure the timing and balance shaft belts have been replaced, that work alone could set you back $900 if you can't do it yourself. If it is an automatic, I wouldn't consider it personally. It would need excellent maintenance history.

ok my accord has 179000 miles on it its a 96, kept it maintained, stock clutch even... hondas pwn for lasting long. but make sure the tmiing belt and water pump have been replaced at 90k if not, dont buy it.

put it this way, I have 150,000 miles on my basicly stock d16z6 sol, I auto cross it all the time (I have been to about 10 events if not more this year), rev up to redline at least twice a week, I always take corners at 4K+ RPMs (I autocross on my daily camute) and its still kicking. The only thing that has gone wrong with my car is my damn heater knob broke off last week and now I have to use a pair of needle nose pliers to turn it down. lol

The number one reason why I bought a honda was that I new that I would not have to worry about it braking down after 100k miles. Hell, I bought the car with 135k miles. Just use common since. Buy a compression tester and run a compression test. That is the number one test to run on a used car to see the real condition.

Asmall you only bring it to redline twice a week. -_- -_- :wtf: :bash: :hmm:

Come on do it on a daily basis. My crx has 184,000 miles, about 70k of them were put on it by Chet's mom who barely reved it. I have been bringing it to redline several times a day for the last 14k and have had no problems at all.

:werd: 2x a week is so lame.

I bring my stock d16z6 to redline atleast 2x on the way to work, and it has well over 128k(where the Odometer broke) and the thing doesn't blow any smoke, and runs like a champ still, chirps 3rd and all.

Thanx for all of the advice. Im going to talk to my dad about buying it again when i get home from school. Also. some things about the car...

1. 1995 prelude SI
2. Not Vtec
3. there are alot of small dings on the doors. (I wonder if i could remove them)
4. it has 100,000 miles on it.
5. The owner told me that he has changed the timing belts yesterday.Havent asked about the shaft belts. yet.
6. The owner told me he had new tires, but when i looked at it they were all different.
7. he is the only owner and bought it out of a showroom when it was new.

Also, my dad wanted to know if this car would have the new freon for a/c. he says if the ac breaks it will be a fortune to fix if it is the old freon.

Yes, that car does use the R134a.......but you can just roll the windows down and keep all your power for going fast.

Peace*

Originally posted by SolidSnakeZero@Oct 6 2003, 01:22 PM
5. The owner told me that he has changed the timing belts yesterday.Havent asked about the shaft belts. yet.

It is timing belt, as in singular. Also, does he any paperwork to verify it? Also, was it just the timing belt or did he replace the timing belt and waterpump. The timing belt and waterpump are a pretty big job, it is not like the Power steering belt where you can change that in five minutes. To have shops do it, they will charge you 400+ for it. Also, if it brakes, your cam shafts will stop moving, your valves will remain open, and the pistons will smash into them and at very least, your going to bend valves, possibly brake pistons, connection rods, Hell, even put a valve through the block. Also, shaft belts? :wtf: Never heard of them.

6. The owner told me he had new tires, but when i looked at it they were all different.

Sounds fishy. Dont let this guy screw you.

Oh and to Jeff, I rearly go on the high way and normally only drive with the car fully warmed up for about a mile since my commute is only like 3 miles. Cold reving an engine is never fun. When I go on the highway, of course I red line every shift until 80.

i have a 92 honda prelude( winter beater )240,000 plus miles never have had yet to do anything to it since 142,000 when i had bought it. Honda's as most of us know at this web site
are a wierd breed of engineering they actually run along time unlike most cars
that take up the rest of the automobile population. SO when asking if a honda
with 100,000 miles on it will last?well thats just an oxymoron.

Dude that is the reason you buy Honda b/c the last forever. I have bought two cars over 100k on them (94 teg - 160k and a 95 civic - 135k) and they are still running strong!! The only problem with Honda that I have found is the axles and timming belt, make sure those have been replaced recently!

Originally posted by asmallsol@Oct 6 2003, 02:56 PM
Also,  shaft belts? :wtf: Never heard of them.

The balance shaft belt issue was posted before I knew what engine the car had. The H22A is dynamically balanced. There is a belt that runs from the crankshaft to a counterbalance assembly in the crankcase. The service interval for that belt is the same as the timing belt.

100,000 mi + 5 speed + good maintenance + Honda = a very safe bet that the car will last you a long time. BUT, personally I feel that someone that will put four different tires on a car is Seriously cheap when it comes to his car. An individual like this views the car as a tool for transportation only, not a posession that they take pride in.

Take a flashlight with you when you look at the car. Remove the oil cap and peer down inside. If it is nice shiny grey aluminum, to no darker than a light yellow, then the oil has been changed regularly. If it is brown to black, walk away and look for another car.

Make sure the timing belt was done, or do it asap if you buy it. My boss had a 93 Lude with 105,000 on it. His wife was driving it one day and the timing belt snapped leaving him with a car worth 500 instead of a couple grand.

also, pick up a compression tester. They are like 50 at most from sears. Will tell you exactly how that engine is.

Back