Prelude with blown H23A1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

juicedprelude

I have a 92 si prelude with a blown h23a in it...i am going today to pick up my h22a long block. What ecu do i need to buy and since my motor is obd2 am i going to run into some problems cuz of that?
thanks

Hey, I split your question off to make sure you get the answers you need. Just start a new topic next time.

Anyway, yes you will run into some problems with wiring of your new H22. First off, get an ECU to match your engine. Howver, you're going to want to get a 96 computer, since the 97+ came with an immobilizer on the ECU.

Your best bet is to buy a conversion harness for the engine, or just get a whole new wiring harness from a 96+ Lude. You could also wire it manually, if you have the knowledge and a Helm's, but that would take the longest and probably give you the most headaches.

So i want to get an obd1 ecu and an obd1 to obd2 conversion harness?
Im still unsure about which ecu i am going to need to get. will a p28 ecu work?

No, you'll need an OBD2 ECU. The conversion harness would convert your OBD1 harness to run an OBD2 ECU.

Any chipped ECU will work, but if you want a stock ECU, you can pretty much only use a P13 or a P72.

Not sure if i was misinformed or not but i was talking to a hondata distributor and he told me that i wasnt going to need an adapter harness and that i needed an obd1 ecu.

Im really confused right now :blink:

Did you tell him you have an OBD2 engine? If you told him you have an OBD2 engine, and he told you to get an OBD1 ECU, then he's a moron.

What year Lude did the engine come out of?

Then you need an OBD1 engine and ECU, or an OBD2 engine and ECU with some manual wiring, or an OBD2 engine, OBD1 ECU and a conversion harness. An OBD2 engine simply will not plug into an OBD1 ECU/harness.

I just talked to another dealer and they are saying that if i use the p13 ecu i wont need an adapter harness and that they actually dont make an ob1 to obd2 harness.

Like I said you'll have to do some conversion. If you want to use the OBD2 engine in your OBD1 car, get yourself an OBD1 ECU so it'll plug into your car's harness. You'll have to swap out at LEAST the injectors and the distributor, since they're mostly what determines the OBD classification.

There is one company that makes the conversion harness you're talking about, but I'm really not sure who it is.

with the motor your getting, just get a 94-96 eco and wiring harness for the whole car.. that way u have no problem really, and less confusion.. anyway while the motor out that the best time to take your out wire harness easy to get through the firewalla and shit... :spin:

come on dohcvtec_accord...the reason you wanna convert it to OBD1 is because you wanna run OBD1 setup...there's no reason to convert it to OBD1 when you're runing OBD2 ecu and engine...what's the point in that...people convert it to OBD1 so it's easier to tune...

The reason why people get a conversion harness is because they have an OBD2 car and can't plug the harness into an OBD1 ecu that's why they get an ecu conversion harness from OBD2(car) to OBD1(ecu)...now on the engine side...some of the plugs wouldn't fit...but you can use the old harness and cut it to make it fit (only some of them)...

and what you need for the convsersion is the injectors (ob2=290 saturated and OBD1 is 340cc peak/hold injectors) you might wanna swap it out....it'll still work if you dont but not at full potential..and rewire your distributor or change the whole distributor...but no need to argue..it's only my opinion and from what i know from previous swap.

Originally posted by juicedprelude@Jul 1 2003, 12:24 PM
I just talked to another dealer and they are saying that if i use the p13 ecu i wont need an adapter harness and that they actually dont make an ob1 to obd2 harness.

Skunk2 offers a harness for a OBDI ecu to a OBDII engine

Back