Press Clutch, Lights Brighten???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have a 91 civic hatchback with a JDM b16 swap. It has been in the car for over a year and this problem just started. Every time i press in the clutch all the way to the floor all of my lights seem to brighten and also my air/fuel guage moves A LOT.(goes from ritch to stoic. most of the time) I have NO idea what could be happening. I thought maybe my peddle could be pinching a wire or something but i checked and nothing. any help would be appreciated.

Quoted post[/post]]
I have a 91 civic hatchback with a JDM b16 swap. It has been in the car for over a year and this problem just started. Every time i press in the clutch all the way to the floor all of my lights seem to brighten and also my air/fuel guage moves A LOT.(goes from ritch to stoic. most of the time) I have NO idea what could be happening. I thought maybe my peddle could be pinching a wire or something but i checked and nothing. any help would be appreciated.

sounds like a wiring short, dont forget your clutch has a switch to let you start the car, im assuming your air fuel guage is on the left side of the dash like most, and youve wired the guage (as useless as it is) near the fuse box on the left kickpanel. id follow those wires, sounds like maybe they could be touching. or depends where you put your ground, i didnt wire in your accessories so its hard to tell where its wired and what its wired to!

to start id chcek the wiring of your gauge and see where the wires go

Have a friend depress the clutch pedal, with the car running, and take a voltage meter to the battery.

Betcha there's a drain.

I also bet the starter motor is spinning. And I bet you have a lot of keys on your keychain.

Anyone see where I'm going with this ?

Don't check for a short with the car running. If you check at the battery(like you should for a draw), and you do so while running, that will tell the guy what the alternator is charging sitting still. Don't believe that is what he is looking for. Car has to be off to check for a draw. :huh:

*Update*

I checked at my battery with my car on and off looking for a change when my buddy pressed in the clutch pedal. I didn't find anything unusual so im going to look at my guage. I know its powered off of the fuse box somehwere but i didn't install it myself. So im going to look at that.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. When you said you "didn't find anything unusual so im going to look at my guage", what were you looking at and also, what kind of gauge are you talking about? A problem like this should be checked with a digital volt ohm meter. You can get a cheap one at any auto parts store.

I didn't find anything unusual with my Ohm Meter i mean :) The car read something like 14.2V when running and 12V when the car was off. I didn't see it change any when my friend pushed in the clutch and thats what i mean by nothing unusual. I am going to look at the wiring on my air/fuel guage.

I found the problem was with my transmition ground. My clutch cable was grounding out because i had a tiny ground wire on there. I put 2 larger wires and it fixed everything

Awesome. I was going to recommend looking at something like your ELD (electronic load detector) sensor since your engine frees up a bit when the clutch is down.

Back