1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Probably not a new idea

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by tab, Mar 3, 2004.

1. tab

tab Super Moderator

I was just curious about storing pressure to help FI cars get moving at lower engine speeds. I have read quite a few posts and articles. I know that proper turbo sizing and tuning can eliminate most lag and spool up problems.

I guess my question is, would it ever be advantageous to have a storage system for unused pressure, to be reused at the right time? It'd probably be tough to pull off.

I'll just nail myself to save the boost veterans the trouble. :newbie:

2. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

uhhh... lol

on paper it sounds like a good idea. but in reality, where would you ever "store" pressure? you'd need a 55 gallon drum at 100 psi for give you 3 sec's of boost.

3. tab

tab Super Moderator

fair enough

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

You'd have to pressurize the storage vessel too, then pressurize the air charge when you feed it back to the engine- you lose both times. Compressing air takes work, and work is never free.

5. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

hehlll....lol

we love the subs...

6. Franknstein

Franknstein Member

Hmmm. I seem to recall reading about some subaru that has an anti-lag system, can't recall how it works, but by some recirculation of excess air somewhere... not very informative I know, but kindof on the topic. I'll find out more if you wan't, got the book at home.

L8r

7. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

subarus, and other MAF- equipped cars can build boost at idle with a small enough turbo, and on larger turbos, by simply staging.

on hondas, we use maps, not mafs, and well, inorder to build boost, we need to see some kind of load on the engine.
    running wickedly retarded timing and gobs of fuel on a 2-step can help build some boost off the line revving. but, its horrible for your motor and manifold having combustion taking place pratcially in the manifold. lol

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted