Probably the dumbest question thats been asked in a while.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

unsivil_audio

Ninja's pwn samuri's.
Seriously though, I'm not trying to be funny or anything. But why hasnt anyone swapped a 5th gen accord with a b-series of some sort (personally I want to swap a b16a into my coupe)?

I mean, I see the major problems. Mounts, Shift linkage as opposed to Shift Cables on the h/f series, and the wiring harness might be a bit of a problem interfacing with the interior harness. Is there other major problems I'm not seeing or are H22/F20b's just that plentiful and cheap?

I think I'm just b-series biased.;) Oh well, I've searched up and down the internet for the answer to this question, and I'm really suprised I couldnt find anything about it, not even someone asking the same question or someone attempting it.

Thankx in advance guys

-Joel

b series is under torqued for an accord. just swap in an H-22. it would cost about the same and the swap is a lot easier.

See, thats what I thought, At first. Then I did some looking. My 94 ex coupe weighs in at ~2756lbs according to edmunds, thats only a little bit heavier than the EM1 (2601lbs according to edmunds). And you also have to figure in that a F/H swap is about 75-80lbs heavier than a b-swap. Not too mention you'd gain 15hp and 2000 more rpms of powerband if you have an ex, 30hp if your an lx/dx..

And another thing, the lack of torque is easily made up with lower gearing that the b-series transmissions already have. I really am suprised no one has tried it yet.

So I just looked at edmunds.com, because I thought I remember my old Accord (95 EX) weighing a touch over 3,000 lbs. Yep, it does. Then I looked at the 94 model. 2800 pounds!?!? WTF? How in the hell did the car gain 200 lbs in one year? That leads me to believe that edmunds is wrong on one of those cars. I'm THINKING it's your year (94), and that they got that weight mixed up with the 4th gen (90-93) Accords.

In any case, yes, it is probably a dumb thing to do. Aside from losing the torque of the B-series engine (about 20 ft-lbs, right?), you'd have to fab the mounts to get the tranny to line up, find new coolant lines, find axles that would work....yeah, the list just goes on. An H-series swap is plug-n-play.

93-94 saw major changes in safety requirements, air bags and crash bars.. Could have gained weight from that..

Or edmunds could be full of shit, either way.

dohcvtec_accord said:
So I just looked at edmunds.com, because I thought I remember my old Accord (95 EX) weighing a touch over 3,000 lbs. Yep, it does. Then I looked at the 94 model. 2800 pounds!?!? WTF? How in the hell did the car gain 200 lbs in one year? That leads me to believe that edmunds is wrong on one of those cars. I'm THINKING it's your year (94), and that they got that weight mixed up with the 4th gen (90-93) Accords.

Yeah that does sound fishy, I also noticed in the reference materials it said the same accord was quite a bit heavier than what edmunds quoted it. I noticed the reference materials also said that the 94 4dr ex accord was only 40 or 50lbs heavier than the 94 2dr ex accord, weird.

I'm gonna try and get a real weight off a scale around town here. Anyways, just thinking out loud guys, dont worry, I dont have the tools or money to attempt such a project (nor the ambition really).

Like everyone else said, swapping a B-series motor into an Accord would just be more trouble than it's worth. You'd spend roughly 2 or 3 grand just securing a motor, transmission, and ECU, plus who knows how much more on custom mounts, coolant lines, axles, etc.

Plus, think about this: the typical B16 swap would offer you around 160 hp and 115 ft. lbs of torque. If you're talking about swapping into a fifth-gen Accord EX, the motor that's in the car already has 145 hp and 147 ft. lbs of torque. That would be ludicrous to spend 2-3k on a motor that's only going to be making 15 more horsepower and 30 ft. lbs less of torque! And remember that you're also probably going to end up spending a grand or more on all the custom items you would need to make the swap work!

Even a B18C from a GSR Integra still has less torque than the Accord's F22 motor, which should tell you that having that extra torque available is a necessity for the heavier Accord. The H22 is the obvious choice for swapping because it essentially drops right in, can be used with the Accord's transmission, and it offers a serious horsepower upgrade plus some additional torque for the same price or often times cheaper than a B-series swap.

Hope that helps...

Also remember that those torque numbers are PEAK torque numbers. I'd guess that the GSR's peak torque is quite a bit further down the RPM line than the F22B's.

unsivil_audio said:
See, thats what I thought, At first. Then I did some looking. My 94 ex coupe weighs in at ~2756lbs according to edmunds, thats only a little bit heavier than the EM1 (2601lbs according to edmunds). And you also have to figure in that a F/H swap is about 75-80lbs heavier than a b-swap. Not too mention you'd gain 15hp and 2000 more rpms of powerband if you have an ex, 30hp if your an lx/dx..

And another thing, the lack of torque is easily made up with lower gearing that the b-series transmissions already have. I really am suprised no one has tried it yet.

the ej1 weighs more then a em1? i thought an ej1 was more like 2400-2500 and a em1 was somewhere over 2600.But I could be wrong .

Back