Problem with GSR swap, Maybe spun bearing?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

drtysohc

Alright, so I noticed that my GSR swap developed a slight tick/knock earlier today. I'm not sure what triggered it. It has been fairly cold out and I do have pretty thick oil in it (10w40). It is garaged and I let it warm up before driving it in cold weather for the most part.

Just to avoid any confusion, it is a 96 Civic DX with an all motor GSR swap (CTR pistons on stock rods and crank, ported head, CTR cams and skunk2 valvetrain.)

I thought at first that it could have been a valve that came out of adjustment, so I pulled the valve cover off to check it out. The first thing that I noticed is that it had a very strong odor of fuel. It has been running rich, but damn...It was bad. After I looked everything over, it seems that everything is in order with the valvetrain. I'm going to check valve lash again, but I'm 98% sure that everything is within spec.

I then pulled the pan to double check the rod bearings. Now, I haven't dealt with that many motors that spun bearings, but more times than not it has seemed that the rod would almost be "loose" as well as metal shavings in the oil. Am I right, or should I pull the caps just to be sure? Everything looks really good, and to be honest I'm baffled.

My question is this: Do you think I should go ahead and pull each rod cap to make sure everything is square, or would it be obvious? Do you have any other suggestions as to what it could be? Any help would be appreciated.

The water pump had been making a bit of noise, but I don't think that is it (Although I'm going to replace it anyways since it is apart.), someone on honda-tech said that they could make a lot of noise when they go, but the temps were still normal.

Thank you in advance for any help
-Steve

Anyone? I need direction lol. Would it be obvious just by looking at it/feeling it if it had a spun bearing?

If you already have the oil pan off I'd probably pull the caps off and look at the bearings and journals just so I was 100% sure since you're already almost there. It's not necessarily very obvious every time a bearing gets damaged.

True, I just hate trying to torque down stuff when the motor is in the car. :( Oh well, it will be worth it.

Someone on Honda-tech said it could be the LMA's ticking too...I forgot to add that VTEC has been engaging later that where I have it set in Crome. I'm new to B series, so thank you for your patience.

That could be possible.. kind of hard to point you in a certain direction without actually hearing the noise it's making though.

Yeah, I listened to it with a piece of hose, and it didn't seem like it was coming from under the valve cover, but you never know. I guess it could be a bad oil pump, which could also cause a spun bearing. While I'm in there I'm just going to throw a new oil pump, water pump, timing belt and maybe put new bearings in even if it didn't spin one.

How likely is it that it would have spun a main bearing? Like I said, I don't know these motors that well.

Not very likely.. if the rod bearings are ok chances are the mains are good as well. Not to say it can't happen, but it's pretty unlikely.

I just recently took my 240k mile Prelude engine apart and the mains are still in pristine condition. Most Honda engines have really strong bottom ends.

That's good news :)

By the way, thank you for all of your help. I'm going to pull the rod caps once I get off work, and I'll take some pictures.

SOunds good let me know if you come up with anything..
Will do, hopefully it is something small. I'm pretty OCD about my car and any time it makes a weird noise/rattle/tap, I pull it apart to make sure everything is alright. I may just be over reacting

Looks like a spun bearing, I found a few chunks in the oil pickup, the motor is coming out tomorrow night :(

I didn't look at it close enough to see...i just put the pan back on and I'm going to pull the motor out before I disassemble it any more. It is much easier to do on an engine stand. I'll take pictures as soon as I get it out and apart, which should be within the next 24 hours.

Back