Problems with 4 pair paging horns

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
A little background. Three years ago the company I work for pre-wired a rather large warehouse off of US 30 just outside of Columbia City, near Fort Wayne in Indiana.

The bill fit among 30 some odd Comdial phones and 30 some paging horns. A few weeks ago the company tried to separate the paging horns into a North and south designation for whatever reason. After trying for a week to get it to work, they decided they were going to hold off on it. So we went back and put everything back the way it was. Now comes the problem.

The back 6 horns do not work. Me and my partner Sam spent all day friday trying to get them to work with no avail.

Here is how the building is set up.

Main phone room.

Two Valcom paging units control the whole setup. The paging ports from the system come from the Violet/brown pair, and the 24v power comes from the Violet/slate pair.

These go through three different mezzanines. We traced the paging ability through Mezz. 1, 2 and 3. All three mezzanine blocks have the optimum power and ability to page as tested from the cordless and our test set where we HEARD the pages. Yet the back 6 speakers still will not work. We replaced everything except the horns and wiring going to them in a failed effort to get them to ring.

The horns all have the volume turned up and they're all getting power to them.

What could the problem be?

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Sep 25 2005, 09:21 PM
i could help you out if you were using a meridian system :) but unfortunately i cant :(
[post=560275]Quoted post[/post]​

haha I really wish this system was a meridian... they're so much easier to program than this stupid fucking Comdial.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Sep 25 2005, 09:37 PM
meridian = teh old.

it's all about IP telephony. :D
[post=560296]Quoted post[/post]​

If VOIP wasn't such a PITA to set up, it really would be.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Sep 25 2005, 09:37 PM
meridian = teh old.

it's all about IP telephony. :D
[post=560296]Quoted post[/post]​

we have some of those in the meridian system too :)

Well I got bored and drew a little diagram of what's going on.

image-apic654.jpg

What's confusing to me: It has to be a central problem, but we were getting a talk path on the 66 block in the 3rd mezzanine.

The horn not working off the 2nd mezz is because the speaker is blown. We discovered that early in the day.

is there any way to test the wiring with like a car battery on one end and a multimeter on the other?

(had to say car battery...this is hondaswap after all.)

If Sam had a voltmeter, yeah there would be a way. Most of the speakers are 14 feet in teh air so we didn't want to go and get them until a last resort.

Nah there can't be. We're getting a talk path at the 66 block in the 3rd mezzanine, yet six speakers aren't working. The kicker is (and I forgot to mention) that thursday they were working.

Back