Project: 49 Chevy

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You're about 70 cubic inches short nick..
GM Performance Parts Engine Assembly, Crate Engine, Chevy Ram Jet 502, 502 hp,

mmmmm....yummy

yhst-81621353714627_1976_308628122

yeah you can but......

1. you have to get it built. which god knows how long thats gonna take if you want to do it right.

2. They wouldnt warranty it.

Sometimes it better to to have what you want then and there and all you have to do is get it plus they warranty the engine.................. yeah i think i would do that. Its not always about high hp. That crate engine would be fun to drive in the '49. Also you can run it on pump gas. unlike a 1000hp engine. Its gonna be hard as hell to drive that thing anywhere.

If you cant show it off on the streets what the fuck is the point. I doubt Will wants a trailer/dyno queen

Last edited:
no but you can build your own 500hp big block for way less and on a project like this its not like he need an engine next week so you can plan for machine time and things like that

i would personaly put a older large CI iron block like the 425 buick nail head that i am building for my boss now a engine like the 502 crate engine is out of place in a truck that old

yeah you can but......

1. you have to get it built. which god knows how long thats gonna take if you want to do it right.

2. They wouldnt warranty it.

Sometimes it better to to have what you want then and there and all you have to do is get it plus they warranty the engine.................. yeah i think i would do that. Its not always about high hp. That crate engine would be fun to drive in the '49. Also you can run it on pump gas. unlike a 1000hp engine. Its gonna be hard as hell to drive that thing anywhere.

If you cant show it off on the streets what the fuck is the point. I doubt Will wants a trailer/dyno queen
700hp LSX.... $6k..... 3year unlimited mile warranty

buying a crate motor from the manufacturer is a waste of money.

I would never buy a built motor. The way it's looking now, it's either going to be getting a blown 400 or a 6.1L Hemi - since I work at a Dodge/Chrysler dealership, I've got extremely easy access to parts, and it wouldn't e too hard to come up with an engine/trans for next to nothing - and since no matter what engine goes in this is going to require lots of fabrication, it doesn't really matter if I decide to go with a Chevy or a Mopar.

I haven't had a chance to do anything at all to it yet, it's been raining every day that I would've had time to mess with it. As soon as it dries up, I'm going to get it sandblasted and in primer so that at least it doesn't rust anymore before I have time to start on the body.

Also, I'm not looking for a drag truck or a trailer/dyno queen. I want something to take out on the weekends and cruise in, and also haul the CRX from time to time. This is going to be less than 500hp, pump gas capable, and completely comfortable/streetable.

700hp LSX.... $6k..... 3year unlimited mile warranty

buying a crate motor from the manufacturer is a waste of money.

isnt that a crate motor? Even though it isnt from the manufacturer directly its still a prebuilt motor. i thought you could consider that crate motor. I thought it was but i could be wrong.

I was just stating a built motor is more convinient instead of building one from scratch thats all. Mostly because of the warranty. But its not my vehicle much less my money. :D

Steam Punk will basically involve lots of polished brass, carefully fabricated switches and gauges. LOTS of gauges. When you're done it should look like the inside of a steam locomotive on 4 wheels.

Back