putting a 2000 civic ex motor into a 91 rex

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rextc

my buddy put an ls into his civic so i swiped his motor and i am going to put it into my 91 crx Si. I need to know what kind of parts i will need to but in order to make it work. And also if i will need new wiring harnesses? any help will be greatly appreciated

I'm trying to do something similar. I here that going out side of your OBD-gen is a real bitch. I hope you get help that way I can try and learn something for my swap!

Originally posted by MaliWho97@Jul 31 2003, 05:22 PM
You need an OBD2-OBD1 adapter harness.... I'm not real sure what else......

Except not.

At the minimum you will need a SOHC VTEC ECU that will plug into your OBD0 harness, OBD0 injectors and an OBD0 distributor that will bolt to the newer engine. You may need more, I am not sure. I don't know about using your tranny on his engine, but his tranny will not work in your chassis without doing a cable to hydro conversion.

I don't think that this swap is worth your time. Sell the newer engine and get something that will be an easier swap.

Use your crx si tranny. I would convert to obd1. Less hassels than converting to obd2. Do some research on how to wire it for obd1.

i have heard that all that there is to it is wiring up the vtech because basically what i was gonna do is just use the block and head off the new one and keep everything else the same because his was orginally an automatic

aslo i can get a wiring harness for obd2 to obd0 from locashracing.com

That harnes alows you to use the OBD 1 computer? Does any one know how that works, I mean what wiring harnes do you need?

no im pretty sure that with the harness you can use the obd0 wiring harness with the obd2 or (obd1 whichever adapter you buy) computer but im not sure. i need as much help as i can get

you have to use ur stock tranny b/c u cannot use the hydro tranny the 2000 motor comes with. also, u must convert your car to obd1, then the engine to obd1, which is a BITCH, i had a friend that did it and he knows alot about cars, but he said it was a bitch. I dont think its the best option for u, b/c u wont get that much more power, and it will take u forever to wire. try to sell the engine, and go buy a JDM ZC.

Converting obds is not that hard if you get a conversion harness. Bascially you just add a few wires which should be labeled on your conversion harness. It took me about 2 hours takng my time. There is a good site about it out there. I don't know the address for it except it has kens si in it.

you have a couple of options:

1. Wiring: a. stay obd0 and use either your PM6 ecu and a vtec controller, use a Zdyne one wire vtec ecu. I use the PM6 ecu and fields vtec controller on mine and it runs fine. You can also use a PR3 (obd0 dohc vtec) with a mugen type program so it deletes the computer from seeing a check engine code for 2nd O2 sensor and knock sensor. You can also run a 90-91 LS ecu with a vtec controller. Or you can convert to Obd1 but you'll need to buy a conversion harness(or do it yourself), get an obd1 distributor (or wire the OBD2 dizzy over to obd1) and use the obd2 injectors. Easiest cheapest way is to just keep the PM6 and use a vtec controller.

2. Transmission: a. Use yours

3. Motor mounts: You'll have to take the block mounted mount off the side of your A6 motor and bolt it to the 00 Ex block. Not a biggie.

4. Other things: For the best power i would use the 00 EX intake manifold with your A6 injectors. You'll have to do this if you use the PM6 ECU or the integra ECU anyway. If you do this use the 00's EX's map sensor if it is mounted on top of the throttle body, just plug your mapsensors plug into the top mounted one. At this time i would use an aftermarket header for a 92-95 or 88-91 sohc any will work, if not just use your A6 factory exhaust manifold. You'll also have to extend the wires that plugged into the back of the block for the coolant temperature sensor and run them to the front of the 00 EX motor or swap the A6's temp sensor on to the 00 motor because there is already a place for it. You will also be able to use your axles.

This swap is worth it trust me. Plus you got the motor for free you can't beat that. Thats how i got my Z6, my friend swapped for a B18C motor and gave me his. I have ran a best of 14.9 with intake, header, exhaust, b16a throttle body, and Y8 intake manifold. This motor is really pretty strong and with bolt ons it will run with most mild b16a swaps in the same car up until third gear.

so motorswapman, pretty much its a direct bolt in except for the vtech controler and a few sensors that need to be extended? Also the engine was an automatic will that cause me any problems?

There is no H in vtec, fucking ricer.

give the guy a break, you were a newb once yourself. Yeah direct bolt in, simply because three of the mounts are on the transmission. No the auto motor shouldn't make a difference. Yeah you could go B16A but the first gen doesn't put out that much HP than the D16 w/ bolt ons and the torque numbers are very similar. Plus the d16 weighs about 75lbs less than the B series so it makes up some power there, but for free i say go for it, just make sure if you want to to change the timing belt and water pump while the motors out just to make it easier down the road. Here the lowdown:

B16A first gen swap= 1100 bucks, mount kit 300 bucks, and more labor time.

D16Y8 = free now you have the 1400 bucks you spent on the b16a to make it faster than the b16 would be any ways. Header/Intake/Exhaust 600 bucks, D series cam 250, vtec controller 200 bucks, throttle body 200 bucks, clutch kit 250 bucks. Right here you have spent less than the b16a , have a quick daily driver and can do the swap in less than a day. Have fun

Back