Q, Private Corps w/o IT Dept

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I work with Sonitrol of CT in the key-card access systems. It's pretty neat, and it's also cheap for what you get.

:horse:

Being the IT also can have it's downfalls. If anything leaks out or breaks in etc etc, it falls on your ass. In this respect, outsourcing it may be the better choice.

The hands down most expensive thing to do is to NOT do it right.

When it comes to security this is an area I may enlist an outside source for help. With almost anything IT related I'd do as much as can on my own and look for help when I know it's beyond my current knowledge base

Leave the keycard access with the facilities dept, or at least make sure they have control over its operation. Nothing hurts us more than when we need to get a vendor in the building to fix a heat pump at 3am and we can't get a hold of the access badge people.

We do not have a facilities dept. Since I know the most about anything to do with computers I was designated to be the Key Card Access Admin.

When it comes to security, I work with a high-end consultant out of Florida. I've known him for, literally, 25 years. Impressive resume. He's just starting an I.T. firm. He's also going to be in town for the month of March, if you wanna talk to him. He's very reasonable for consulting (Semi-retired).

I also have a professional relationship with Chip Work out of NY. He's literally "Written the book" on information security.

Managed services, from start to finish. Project Management, Cost / Benefit analysis and technology risk management. Training from one-on-one to classroom, as well as I.T. Staffing at a low rate.

I do perform break/fix, because I'm really good at it (Its my core talent) and I do enjoy it. I have an assistant, and can provide good coverage around the clock. My typical turn-around is 16 business hours, and my emergency can have me in within the day. I have contract rates as well.

I have been partnered with people in the NY / CT / MA area for 10 years, providing high-end consulting in autocad (Manufacturing), design, medical, legal, media and publications, security, non-profits, the list goes on.

My rates start at $120/hr, and go to $200 for emergency service, and down to $65 for contract non-profits. I can help my clients design a budget around their needs for per-project, or even yearly budgets. I also do fill work for vacationing employees within my area.

Back