Question About Pistons

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

freshie

Well my car started running shitty this weekend, really bad compared to how it was. I did a compression check today and it wasn't as i had hoped.
car is a sohc 97 civic dx y7 block with a 98 y8 ex head/intake manifold with a greddy 15g turbo kit.
Compression Test results:

dizzy side
4 - 65
3 - 110
2 - 200
1 - 200
timing belt side

pretty much driving a turbo mower right now

my piston rings are blown on 3 and 4, you should see the oil my cars dumping out the valve cover nipple. i dont know much about engine internals so i need some help. should i just replace them with OEM?(im going back to all d16y7 motor, ditching the ex head, its been nothing but problems since i swapped it on) or should i get something else?
i don't have alot to spend this is my daily driver, if it wasn't i'd be building the block up. i just need something that will work good for daily driving but also if i wanna boost it higher than 6 psi (9 is max i've heard on boost with an auto tranny)i want something that can hold it

or should i just buy another d series motor?

You should probably just buy another engine- but for the same amount of cash, you could have a freshly rebuilt engine that you know is in good condition, rather than a used block you don't know the history of.

Even so, you could get a low mileage D16Y8 for fairly cheap, drop it in and crank up your boost. There are a zillion SOHC VTEC blocks out there- you just have to find them. Just make sure you tune things properly.

Originally posted by sam_smizzle@Feb 22 2005, 09:47 AM
i would drop gsr pistons in it for a higher compression
[post=464430]Quoted post[/post]​

That would be a negative.... go read up some in our articles and reference section before you recommend something dumb like this again. 81mm GSR pistons do NOT fit in a 75mm D series bore.

I was gonna say something about that GSr piston idea, but I'm not trying to get banned.

Learn to read before you post is all I'm going to say. :blink:

And I say get another D, they're cheap and easy to replace, and you can keep the boost.

In your case, its best to just pick up another complete motor. the time and labor you will spend in replacing the pistons and you just wanna stay stock anyways is not worth it.

It will be cheaper if you pick up another d16y7 somewhere and just drop that in.

Don't know if you're still in need but I just rebuilt the entire bottom end of my D16Y8 and then swapped it for a B16A SiR II. So if you still need a built block just post again and I will get you my contact info. I don't really want a whole lot for the block. Also have transmission, ecu ect. The head is shot except for the valve train. A journal on the cam ate itself for lunch.

Originally posted by sam_smizzle@Feb 22 2005, 10:47 AM

Yea, uh a Y8 is a D Series... GSR is a B... wont work son. D = 77mm bore, B = 81mm bore.

Originally posted by sam_smizzle@Feb 22 2005, 10:47 AM

You know the old addage about making only one first impression??(rhetorical question obviously) Anyway, our friend here just made his first impression, welcome to HS and good luck digging yourself out of a hole you just made. :ufucktard:

Back