Question about the VSS ...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VTECin5th

Administrator
Oh,
1995 civic coupe_ b16a2 <- yes a2_obd1 chipped p28/p30chip_
I think my VSS is trying to break, i drove thru a puddle that pretty much covered most of passenger side and submerged plenty.
I parked it right after that, so i didn't notice anything different.
I went for a drive probly about 15 minutes, and everything was fine...
On the way back from that 15 minute drive i noticed that when i would put any extra load (amp/sunroof button etc) on the car, the speedo would drop off.
My initial thought was alternator, it seemed as long as i keep it revved up past 5k rpms, it doesn't drop off.
At the same time my car also lost all power, felt like a fuel problem. (gas pedal not responding, everything else working as normal)
The "fuel problem" didn't happen today, but i did get the code 17 VSS CEL.
The VSS works as long as i keep it revved up, i'm going to pull it out and dry it off, make sure the leads aren't corroded or frayed.
The question is, is it possible that the VSS, reading wrong or shorting, caused my car to stop the fuel pump?

Don't go mobbing puddles in a honda, let that be a lesson to you. :)

Check the VSS to make sure nothing is wet in there, that can sometimes short out the sensors. Also make sure the huge puddle didn't knock any connections loose. I fried my alternator once mobbing a huge puddle we respectfully called 'lake alottawada', so I'm speaking from experience. I also shorted out a couple of sensors once when cleaning the engine bay. Sensors don't like water. unless it's the ECT sensor...

Thanks for the reply Bergy,
I took the sensor out and it was full of water, i dried it out and reinstalled it, so far so good.
I'm just wondering why it caused my FUEL to stop?
I guess a short can do anything it wants, but i didn't know the VSS would do anything to the FP?
:confused:

It was probably just coincidence. Water can cause shorts in adjacent electrical systems, it probably just took less time to dry out than your VSS. Like I said, I had similar problems when I washed the engine bay, and when I hit that huge puddle. Everything dried and I was fine after that. Except I fried the alternator.

Back