Question: B16A2 head vs B18C1 head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blacksi772001

I have a 2000 Civic Si with original B16 engine. I have a low compression problem and I I was offered a 97 Acura Integra GSR head/complete. Since I am removing the head from my car and I possibly have a cracked head, burnt valves, guides and/or blown head gasket I am thinking about replaceing it with the B18C.

Please, let me know if it will work properly. Plus any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

it's work but also its in your best interest to upgrade from the GSR Intake manifold, since the GSR runs butterflies and will also need to be run via a GSR mapped ECU..

the head fits, but your b16 intake manifold won't fit onto the GSR head, different bolt patterns.

i you run the gsr head you will need to get a ls or a skunk2 mani or somthing but it will work just fine also i think but im not sure that the b16 cams are biger

Thanks for the feedback. Swapping the heads would be a waste of money and now I realize I'm gonna need all the money I can get.

Here's the story.......

A while back I was on the highway and my Si lost a huge amount of power. It felt like a misfire and it was. Check engine light on. Autozone's computer says that my ECU is throwing 3 misfires (71, 72, 73) and a glow plug problem (???). Honda dealership says the ECU is throwing 2 misfires. I trip the ECU and it tells me 4 misfires. (71, 72. 73, 74).
At this point I'm frustrated. Do I have a fuel, ignition or compression problem. No one wants to beleive compression problems because thats alot of money and time. So I did what anyone would due....tune up.

Pulled plugs and noticed that cylinder 3's plug was fouled with fuel. All other plugs were good. Was it soaked due to a weak spark. I checked the spark and it was very weak with an intermittent orange spark. I replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil for the ignition side. (Battery was pushing 12 volts and the alternator was charging the batter with the voltage regulator properly working.) For sure the plug will fire now. No go. Misfire cylinder 3 and now 1 random misfire. Used a ohm/volt meter and tested ICM and PCM. Good. Now were to????....Fuel delivery.

Proceeded to replace fuel filter and check for vacume leaks with some carb cleaner. No vacume leaks. Ran 3 consecutive tanks of fuel injector cleaner.

Now I had done several other tests with injectors, ignition, adjusted ignition and cam timing. etc. Basically I had to accept that there was low or no compression issue...but why would I have random misfires with the other cylinders. I could feel the car running on 3 but at times, during idle, I could feel a 2nd misfire for about 3 seconds then surge up to 3 cylinders. Maybe a blown head gasket between 2-3 cylinders.

I finally did the right thing and purchased a compression tester. Cylinder 3 had 0 compresiion. All other pistons were maxed out at 185psi and stayed there. Now I remove the head and find out the real story.

Last night: Things dont look real good for the Si at this point. I removed enough compoents to see that I need new 2 new motor mounts, fuel injector o rings/seals, and I am going to replace intake, head/cylinder and exhaust gaskets since they will be removed. Plus I will replace drive belts, air filter and battery for preventive maintnence. I removed the exhaust manifold and cylinder 3 poured out fuel. wtf!!
It looks bad and I have a bad feeling that my affordable engine repairs may end up costing alot more money.

Basically I'm an idiot. I'm gonna pull the head later this evening. Any ideas what the outcome is going to be? I think blown head gasket or cracked head. Remeber, there is no oil on the plug so the oil is not getting into the combustion chamber. Piston rings, valves/guides would more than likely leave oil deposits.

Cya

hmm, well not really sure what to tell you, either way you'll find out the problem yourself tonight..

good luck

Back