Question for my fellow math geeks

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by 90 accord+Nov 2 2004, 12:39 AM-->
Loco Honkey
@Nov 2 2004, 12:17 AM
Math makes me gassy. Uh oh! Hey Jamie, guess what! I just... FARTED! :lol:
[post=410467]Quoted post[/post]​

:huh: :blink: that one smells like bean burrito's!!! mmmm
[post=410474]Quoted post[/post]​

In all seriousness, or as close to that as we can get when talking about farts, I absolutly HATE Mexican food. Well, Yucca root is good, but that's it for me. I dunno, I just don't like it at all.

Wow guys, thanks for the ownage. I now see that I've been out of math/calculus for way too long (mmmmm, 6 years now?). I couldn't even come close to the proposed solution.

Yeah, I would have had to do some research on the proper equations. It's not a linear relationship that you can just hack up with a simple trig function as a multiplier to get your area, especially since each degree closer to the hemisphere line gives you more area every time. I know that I never did a problem like this in school though, so it would have taken some time.

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 2 2004, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I would have had to do some research on the proper equations. It's not a linear relationship that you can just hack up with a simple trig function as a multiplier to get your area, especially since each degree closer to the hemisphere line gives you more area every time. I know that I never did a problem like this in school though, so it would have taken some time.
[post=410610]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, I knew it wouldn't be linear, hence the cosine function in my theorem. But my solution also never felt quite "right". Little did I know it was THAT far off.

Back