Question for Steve

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
I was just wondering about your input on throwing a Supercharger on the Civic...

I wanted to know what your personal experience with it was, the pros and cons of Supercharging the b16 over turbocharging it.

Yes I know there's more drag and the turbo is all around better, but without doing all the extra legwork of piecing together a turbo kit, the JRSC kit is by far cheaper than any turbo I've ever found.

How did the install go? how was drivability?

Did you ever get it dyno'd? I know you ran somewhere in the 13s with it.

Overall, I just want Steve's personal views on this subject, but I'd appreciate the input of others as well. However, if you're going to tell me it's a waste, save it. I don't want to hear about it.

edit: had to fix all those damn spelling errors.

i helped steve put it on over easter weekend when he did it.

fri night was preppin the car, jacking it up, dropping the exahust, fluids, etc...
sat was pulling everything off (that intake manifold support braket is a PITA-- spent like 2 hours on that bracket alone...) and starter putting stuff on.
sunday was easter lunch, then finsihing it all up. by dusk, it was drivable again.

the second time he did it for his friend (i wasn't there) it only took a prep night and the following day. so, experience definitly plays a big part.

i'd guess it would take you about 3-4 days to do it as well. so plan that down time.

drivability was pretty smooth. he was just running the fmu and such from the kit, along with a kamikaze header, iceman intake, and thermal 3" exhaust.

i'll keep personal opinion out of this one. :p

Thanks B. That's helpful. Do you remember what size injectors he was running in them and how much boost the pulley's gave?

oem injecotrs... it runs an fmu.
boost, 6 psi stock pulley system

Originally posted by 2000Si@May 3 2005, 11:45 PM
I was just wondering about your input on throwing a Supercharger on the Civic...

I wanted to know what your personal experience with it was, the pros and cons of Supercharging the b16 over turbocharging it.

Yes I know there's more drag and the turbo is all around better, but without doing all the extra legwork of piecing together a turbo kit, the JRSC kit is by far cheaper than any turbo I've ever found.

How did the install go? how was drivability?

Did you ever get it dyno'd? I know you ran somewhere in the 13s with it.

Overall, I just want Steve's personal views on this subject, but I'd appreciate the input of others as well. However, if you're going to tell me it's a waste, save it. I don't want to hear about it.

edit: had to fix all those damn spelling errors.
[post=494759]Quoted post[/post]​

I tinkered with the idea of going turbo/supercharger for well over 3 - 4 months before finally deciding upon the JR unit. Some of the reasons for this was that I was daily driving the car at the time and did not want to sacrafice its driveability. A turbo kit would not have really allowed me to daily drive the car, and honestly, the b16 does not respond to well to a turbo application (unless a custom kit is installed/tuned correctly).

I ordered the JR unit, and also all the little necessities for the typical install
- Thermal 3" Exhaust
- Kamikazee 2.5" Header
- Catco 3" Cat (All of these components installed 2 weeks prior to charger install)
- Walbro 255/lph fuel pump
- Gauges (Oil Pressure, Boost, Fuel Pressure, A/F Ratio)
- Oil Catchcan

The install went rather smooth, except for the manifold bracket, that piece alone took over 2 hours to take out on my car. I did the install on SIRMILTON's (Darcy) car and we had it out in about 10 minutes. Everything regarding the engine was stock as I was only using the 6lb pulley at the time. Injectors, everything. The only Fuel Managment I had was a FPR and the JR FMU. THe FMU needed major tuning after the car started up as the car ran completely rich, after it tuned up however, the car pulled like a mule. The car changed dramatically with the kit installed, and that related to the TQ increase which is very apparent with a supercharger (JR is a Roots blower, Vortech, Comptech are centrifugal)

With Roots blowers, the power is there almost instantaneously, I mean, there is no lag whatsoever.

After about 2 weeks it was time for a new Clutch, I ordered the 9lb Fidanza Flywheel and CLutchmasters Stage III from Endyn (another story). Wildbill did the Clutch install for me when he was working at Executive Honda with his other buddy (coworker). I would highly recommend doing this at the same time as the charger install as it would be much easier.

The car ran a 13.81@98mph on 15" slicks mounted on SE-R wheels, no spare tire and turbo blue (116 octane). To my knowledge, with the amount of work done to the car (mods) it is the fastest JR 6psi SI out there (according to CSi).

I did have the car dynoed at Pruven Performance (www.pruvenperformance.com), I was working at Ct. Web Design at the time and we did there website for them way back when so I got a hookup on dyno / tune time. The car laid down 193/138 with the mods listed above (only other things aren't really performance driven i.e. suspension, sts, leather, etc).

I was very happy with the car as it sat, I didn't want a powerhouse because it was daily driven most of its life. The charger gave the car what it needed, and it was fun as hell to drive. I miss the car everyday I get into my fukin Jeep. I miss the whine of the charger, and the sleeper look it had. Only reason I got rid of it was due to the fact that everyone at the local cruise scene knew MY car and every stop light I was getting revved on/raced. I matured, didn't want to get into trouble (another story) and didn't wnat to risk losing my license again (too many tickets). So off the charger went, sold, year later, car traded in, and never to be seen again...

Originally posted by david_jones001@May 5 2005, 11:33 PM
Arent superchargers more efficent on 6 and 8 cyclinders, if ur after horsepower, id go with a turbo
[post=495741]Quoted post[/post]​

wrong topic. start your own thread if you want to whore.

Thanks a bunch steve, that's all i needed to hear for now.

Now I gotta start saving... or find a better job... or both. :)

Back